The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 03:11 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Need Help w/bluegill flies what to make

Nice pattern. That will be tied. Now I need to get some piping.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:14 PM

muppetmullet81 is on a distinguished road

Flies for gills can be as hard or as easy as you choose to make them. A hook with some red thread and a hackle will catch bluegills all day long. For me these are the best flies to A) Learn your tying skills on. B) Practice your casting and catching skills with. Get a book of basic trout patterns and tie them until you master them. And while you are at it go try them out on bluegills. And experiment. Try new things, learn new things. Some guys won't tell you this but almost all of us learned to tie and fly on bluegills.
hailfly likes this.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:14 PM

bocast is on a distinguished road

From the excellent book by Terry & Roxanne Wilson "Bluegill Fly Fishing and Flies" ISBN 1-57188-176-X

Bully's Bluegill Spider

Hook: dry fly sizes 8 to 12
Thread: Danville 6/0 color to match body
Underbody: 0.020 lead wire
Body: yellow chenille
Tail: none
"Legs: " two pieces yellow rubber tied on with x wraps to make four legs sticking out
Head: taper thread down to a whip finish without head cement

This fantastic book has so much great information, that it is a "must read."
I tied some of these up and got amazing results on a tough late summer day when no one else was hooking up. When I shared these flies, everyone got in on the action.

The book helped me to know how to find and catch bluegills when they aren't spawning. It made a bluegill fan out of me. It includes a bunch of fly recipes with pictures.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-17-2013, 07:38 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

Ia trouter, where do you do most of your fishing at up there? I'll be Pike fishing on the cedar the first of the month. And hitting a few of the streams in that area for trout.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-17-2013, 12:56 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by delopez View Post
Ia trouter, where do you do most of your fishing at up there? I'll be Pike fishing on the cedar the first of the month. And hitting a few of the streams in that area for trout.

Near what city? To answer your question, my day trip options are limited. My favorite daytrip options are near Dubuque, IA. Swiss Valley is a fun stream with some size to it. I also like Bankston. Big Mill near Bellevue isn't too bad, but access to much of the stream is a bear until the weeds die back some.

The best fishing is up north near MN. Bear, Waterloo, French to name a few. I haven't been to these but intend to visit one or more in November.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:01 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

Mason city, clear lake area.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:43 AM

jason k is on a distinguished road

Thanks again everyone for all the help.Sorry I have not been on lately.I have been in the field bring in my crops and have along way to go yet. I am going to shut down for a day so I can get some sleep..lol.Well for now I am going to be making a few styles of the woolly bugger. So please give some input on colors.I am thinking all black and some all yellow with black hens hackel.What do you think?Any other combos would like to here from you ..

Thanks
Jason
Old 10-21-2013, 08:27 AM

muppetmullet81 is on a distinguished road

Small buggers tied all in white. Yellow and red are good. All black, or all brown. Really any color will work. Sizes 8-10 are great.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:55 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

The black and yellow combo you mention are often in style for panfish. You could probably get a vote for every color in the rainbow if you ask enough folks Black and white body is common for panfish jigs. Chartreus is pretty time tested for a lot of warmwater species as well. If you pickup some marabou in a few colors you can add some variation with different tail color and mix it up.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:43 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
The black and yellow combo you mention are often in style for panfish. You could probably get a vote for every color in the rainbow if you ask enough folks Black and white body is common for panfish jigs. Chartreus is pretty time tested for a lot of warmwater species as well. If you pickup some marabou in a few colors you can add some variation with different tail color and mix it up.
Go to ebay. There's a dealer there called lady flytyer. She sells very generous bags of marabou in every color for 2.85.
she's got tons of other stuff too at great prices and will combine shipping as long as you pm before you pay. I highly reccomend her.