The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 01:21 AM

jason k is on a distinguished road
Default Need Help w/bluegill flies what to make

Hi,
I am picking back up fly fishing after 28 years I was 10-12 years old the last time fly fished now I am 40. Go too Flies on here too find the story about me.Anyways I am from west central Iowa. I am going to only be fishing bluegills for now then move into crappie and trout.. I was wondering what would be a good fies are good for bluegills.I know what I was a kid my dad used a hornbrug alot once and awhile a black wooly bugger both a size 12. I am just starting out making flies I do not need to hard for flies to make right now.I plan on making the hornbrug and the black wooly bugger.What other colors should I tie in the wooly bugger? ..I would like too also know what flies work good with bluegills. I will be fish spooky fish in still waters..( Gravel pits and farm ponds.)

Thank you
Jason
Old 10-11-2013, 01:32 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Need Help w/bluegill flies what to make

Welcome! And I really hate it when I go to a forum and some old fart says "Go to the FAQ section, newbie". But here? Over the last few weeks, those of us who are blue gill addicts have started, I think at last count, 4 separate threads on this very topic. I would strongly recommend reading those. No need to search, just look in the general section, the warm water section and the fly tying forum and there they are. But, since I don't want to send you home empty handed, we've been tying mini-clousers, buggers in olive and black, a new fly pattern in pink that IA trouter swears by, a cool old school foam spider (here's the link: "MY FAVORITE BLUEGILL FLY - Fly Angler's OnLine)

And basically discussing all things bluegill. So welcome aboard and don't think this is a trout snob board, far from it. pick a thread and jump in!
PS I'd start with the "Fly vices are a good investment, need help with bluegill flies" thread in general discussion.
takesthegun likes this.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:57 AM

argail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to all

Hi jason k
I like, top water flies, hopper fly - hook #10 (my choice mustad R72), black (experiment with color) foam body, white rubber legs, post or wings - bunch deer hair try
Old 10-11-2013, 02:31 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

The best resource you will find: CLICK HERE

Also check out the Fly Patterns section. Each pattern on the site has detailed step by step tying walkthroughs with images, as well as fishing techniques.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:38 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Nice link Nick, thanks.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:50 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

Did you find the link for the McGinty? It's actually Yellow and Black, or Chartreus/Black. Material list is pretty simple, and according to Riptide, exact doesn't matter. I have used it exactly once, that was last night and I couldn't keep the fish off it. In 20 minutes or so I caught large gills, small gills, a crappie and LM Bass in a drought smoked new lake where the fish have got to be stressed. I had spent the previous hour getting a sore shoulder and a near skunkin.

If you don't have the materials, PM your addy and I'll mail you one. A lot of other flies catch gills, but the McGinty should be in your arsenal.

Last edited by ia_trouter; 10-11-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:53 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, so while this was invented as a trout fly, it is a bluegill slayer! Give it a try and prove me wrong.

Improved Shop Vac - the original fly was developed by Craig Matthews of Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone, MT. The "improved" part is that I added a peacock herl thorax to the fly. I also use a copper bead and chartreuse wire rather than a gold bead and gold wire as in the original pattern:

Click the image to open in full size.

Hook: DaiRiki 125 Emerger, size 14-16
Thread: UTC Ultra black
Bead: 3/32 Copper
Abdomen: Yellow-dyed pheasant tail fibers - 6 to 8
Wire Rib: Chartreuse, small
Wing: SAAP Hi Vis white wing post material
Thorax: peacock herl wrapped front and back

Good luck,

Kelly.
mcnerney, cowpokey and takesthegun like this.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:08 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

I always use a small bead head bugger. You can't go wrong with a Woolley bugger.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
takesthegun likes this.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:34 PM

fish4reds is on a distinguished road

Foam is deadly for BGs. Here is mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pocono, mcnerney, argail and 2 others like this.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish4reds View Post
Foam is deadly for BGs. Here is mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cool looking bug. What's the crinkly stuff on top?