The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 09:27 PM

tpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: what's the prettiest popper?

There are a lot of places you can buy decent poppers, and they will definitely catch fish. Some look better than others, but all of them look a little "generic" if you ask me. If you have the time/interest and have some basic tying skills, they are easy to make. I saw someone mention "Stippled Popper" and Pat Cohen, I've followed their work on various forums and they have inspired and coached me in making my bugs. I made these bluegill poppers with pre-made foam poppers, a good way to start since you don't have to make the body, you can focus on the tail, legs, painting, etc:

Click the image to open in full size.

These I made from some balsa I bought at a hobby shop, shaped them with a pocket knife and sandpaper:

But my favorite, for both tying and fishing, are deer hair poppers. Here are a few of my favorites:

I make them for my use and give some as gifts to fishing buddies, co-workers who fish, etc. Good luck hunting for nice bugs, and think about make them yourselves, its addictive!

Tom
Old 10-12-2013, 09:41 PM

flymoron is on a distinguished road

tpo, they look great
Old 10-12-2013, 11:19 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the reference FQ. My work pales in comparison to most serious deer hair guys though. I'm merely learning right now, and have a long way to go before my work can really be considered artistic.

Pat Cohen, IMO, ties some of the most artistic hair flies on the market. His deer hair creations are truly second to none. The "Punk Rocker" fly is one of the coolest flies I've ever seen.

Balsa wood poppers are very cool too, IMO. The craftmanship and painting that go into making them really is cool.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:00 AM

flymoron is on a distinguished road

mannnnn, Cohen does have some slick ones, I just looked at his site, thanks
Old 10-13-2013, 11:53 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

I remember when Pat started tying, which wasn't that long ago. His work is a testament to desire & dedication. The man certainly has developed skills too!

Not everyone who takes up fly tying will acquire the skills that Pat has in such a short time, but he's proof of what can be done.

BTW, Ted & tpo, you guys do some pretty work as well!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 10-13-2013, 12:00 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

TPO, those look incredible and poppers are on my winter tying list. Hope you are availabe for questions.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:00 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Tom, those poppers are amazing! I sent some rep your way. Thanks for sharing those.

-VB
Old 10-15-2013, 03:08 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

I miss read the title and was going to say Jessica Biel but now that I read the responses I was way off . I would say a green yellow frog made from cork is usually a great one to start with. I will be trying to tie some this winter for those big toothy critters.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 10-21-2013, 10:37 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

The stuff Pat Cohen ties belong in a gallery! Far to pretty to fish ! It would be akin to using an autographed World Series ball to play catch! Oops I did that !
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-22-2013, 04:53 PM

mirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nice

Agreed, Pat Cohen's flies are astonishing ... but around here fishing with a thing like that is like an airtight guarantee that a pickerel or a pike will cut you off before the line even goes tight.

I like that one riptide posted, looks like a half a tampon with a piece of rope. Very practical, and no tears when it get stolen ...