The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 07:21 AM

flymoron is on a distinguished road
Default what's the prettiest popper?

I like to collect them, and I am on a constant lookout. Does anyone know where I can buy some purdy ones? foam/hair/hard body, it doesn't matter.

thanks
flymoron
Old 10-12-2013, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: what's the prettiest popper?

We have a few Popper Artists in the group here but I just can't bring names to bear right at the moment. best advice is to bump this thread now and then in hope that they will spot it. Try Big Jim, he knows a lot of tiers I think or at least sources.

Good luck

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-12-2013, 11:03 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

"Purty" is for the fisherman, not the fish. The fish could care less.

This is a short shank version of my popper in the second picture.
Designed to catch fish. Not to be pretty

Click the image to open in full size.

theboz likes this.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:25 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Depends...I have 2 answers.

1. A deer hair popper

2. One that is in a fishes mouth

Old 10-12-2013, 11:26 AM

flymoron is on a distinguished road

oh Riptide, your fishing with your poppers?
Old 10-12-2013, 11:32 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Well, I can agree with Rip about them not having to look good for catching fish. But, if you intend to "display" them, you'll want them to be as nice as you can get!

Pat Cohen ties some of the best & artistic deer hair bugs you'll ever find, so I would check out his flies. Pat has a website & sells some of his flies.

Ronald P. Braud, in Prairieville, Louisiana does some of the nicest looking poppers I've seen. He's on some of the fly tying forums with the user name "Stippled Popper." I'm not sure if Ron sells any of his flies or not. Ron had written an article about some of his work. Check it out. http://www.flytier.com/stippled.pdf

I like to think that I make some nice poppers as well, but I haven't made any to sell in about 10 years. Just don't have the time these days. I'll have to check my fly boxes & see if I have any that are "purty" enough to display

You could also check "breambugs.com" which is a retail site that sells primarily warmwater flies & particularly poppers. They have a good selection, but most are mass produced, commercial bugs.

My mind doesn't always work right, but if I think of any other people who make some nice bugs I'll add them here!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 10-12-2013, 11:53 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymoron View Post
oh Riptide, your fishing with your poppers?
Yup, cheap and easy too. ( just like me )
In fact I call that one my "ten cent" popper 'cuz that's what it costs to build one.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

See, I knew Jim would have some ideas for you. And of course that paul wouldn't miss this either. You could paint those right??

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-12-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
You could paint those right??
You can, but the ones that I make for myself I don't bother because it's not necessary.

If anything, I'll give them a coat or 2 of epoxy like I did for this one which was made from a test tube cork.
The 2 in the pictures above are made from closed -cell lobster buoy foam

Hardyreels, von behr and baseman1 like this.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:05 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

The prettiest popper is the one with tooth marks. If you're looking for art, try Ted on this board. Here are a few of his (page 247 of the "what have you been tying today" thread on the tying board). They are amazing.

What have you been tying today?
von behr likes this.

Last edited by fq13; 10-12-2013 at 02:06 PM.