The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2008, 08:54 AM

nralover is on a distinguished road
Default Next flyfishing question:)

Okay guys, first let me say thanks for all your input regarding my "general purpose fly rod" post. It gave me some ideas. Now, assuming I buy a 5 or 6 weight rod, what flies should I be throwing? I have seen some very small foam spiders and poppers made by Accardo tackle for sale at Wal Mart- will these be good choices? What sizes am I limited to, and can I use lures other than topwater? Thanks in advance, NRA
Old 02-14-2008, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Next flyfishing question:)

Those will work well with a 5/6 weight rod. Before too long you'll be thinking of those as quite large.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:58 AM

nralover is on a distinguished road

Large? Wow I assume someone makes smaller poppers and spiders? Could you give me a link? Also, what should I use as a subsurface offering?
Old 02-14-2008, 01:03 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road

One of the all time great flies, especially in terms of versatiliy, is the Wooly Bugger. I catch 90% of my bluegills on a size 10 or 12 wooly bugger in olive or black usually with a gold bead head. You'll catch an occasional bass on these as well, but if you're targeting bass, use a size 6 or 8. I like white for crappie and bass, but olive, black, or brown work well too.

For bluegills and crappie, let the bugger slowly sink and twitch it occasionally. Then retrieve it in very short strips with plenty of pauses. For bass, just srip it slightly faster.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 02-14-2008, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I just meant that for flies they're large.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:00 PM

wlschindler is on a distinguished road

Go to your local fly shop (or two) and tell them what you want to fish for and where - they should be more than happy to show you what works in your area.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlschindler View Post
Go to your local fly shop (or two) and tell them what you want to fish for and where - they should be more than happy to show you what works in your area.
Hi to all,

Very good advice but make sure you also tell them what weight fly rod you are using.

Frank
Old 02-16-2008, 07:01 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

if you have no place to go check out bigyfly they have a large selection of flies for a decent price. 45 to 70 cents a piece or so.I bought stuff from them before I started tying my own. this will also give you an idea of all the bugs you can use with a fly pole. there are many trust me! some flys can be very small. size 12 can actually be pretty big in the fly world. I have seen flys down to size 20 and have heard of some even as small as size 32 I believe!!

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.