The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 03:15 PM

zum will become famous soon enough
Default Drop flies?

This is normally my best time of year to catch bigger smallmouth/chain pickerel.
Numbers go down but the size makes up for it...this year so far on the number part is normal.
I've tried to mimic bigger suspending jerk baits but that isn't the ticket, so now I find myself reading about drop flies.
I've never used them, even when using conventional tackle so I'm a complete novice.
Yesterday, I tied on some type of small steamer with dumbbell eyes,to a bigger popper I was throwing.It was about 16"s down from the popper,I'd let it sit with little movement other than wave action,in what I thought was high percentage spots.I did manage to part off one pickerel using this method but that was it.
Is this a good fall method or should I be using a fly, instead of a streamer type fly?
Also should I use an indicator instead of a top water fly.?..was thinking that I'd have better chance to land fish with to flies in the water.

I also landed a couple small bass using top water but the top water bit is coming to an end.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Drop flies?

Hi,

Were a long ways apart and I don't use the methods you describe but I'll give the thread a bump hoping someone can offer help.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-20-2013, 04:04 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

MAYBE A STREAMER UNDER A POPPER ISN"T SUCH A GOOD IDEA? A POPPER IS FISHED SLOWLY, SO THE STREAMER WILL JUST HANG THERE. MAybe try a leggy nymph like a helgramite instead?
PS, sorry for the caps. I''m typing this on my tablet I didn't notice and I'm too lazy to go back and retype it.!
Old 10-20-2013, 04:16 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I fish 2 streamers a lot. A big one chasing a little one.
I like to think that the gamefish might see this as competition from the larger fly and feel the urge to attach. Either out of hunger or anger.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:55 PM

mirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nice

I won't argue with the rationale for using a dropper, but I find I foul my gear on the casting stroke far too often to want to use droppers in most situations, whether with big stuff for smallies and pickerel, or dry/dropper or double nymph rigs for trout.

My experience here lately confirms yours in general -- the action slows down and the fish aren't as "bitey" but those that want to play tend to be big. I did well last weekend on smallmouths and pickerel using a heavy conehead bugger off a floating line -- the key with the smallmouths was to let it fall to 6 or 8 feet down and then work it back **VERY** slowly, while the pickerel wanted it stripped back steadily or quickly along weed edges.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:56 PM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

That sort of thing works. I've done it with bluegills and bass--a big bass bug with a nymph. It would probably work with crappies--sort of like the old trick of suspending a marabou jig under a bobber. A bugger or streamer I'm sure would do fine.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:22 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I don't ever have a problem with my line fouling when I fish droppers.
Even when I was little kid, I fished my wet flies like that with out issues.
You need to use stout tippet and cast with an open loop. It's not hard