The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 04:39 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Give carp a try!

I hate carp! About as much as I hate bass, or Stripers or Redfish!

It seems to me that many such videos are done more so to sell something than provide information or instruction for the subject matter. So, I've watched that video once & with the sound off. Facial expressions & body movement often tells a better story IMO. I'll watch it again with the sound to get the full affect.

Some of the best anglers & particularly fly anglers I've ever known were a bit dysfunctional including myself at times. I know nothing about them other than what was included in the video so I won't comment on the participants.

It all appeared very normal to me.
jbird likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 11-02-2013, 06:03 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post

It all appeared very normal to me.
OK now thats just crazy talk! I liked it, I said nothing about normal
Old 11-02-2013, 06:57 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa dave View Post
The chenile may be better anyway. The real berries float very low in the water and the deer hair tends to ride too high. I'm thinking the foam would too.
Check this video, I think the rig is just right for a Noob like me.

Good luck.
Joni, dakotakid and jbird like this.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:33 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting video. Don't really care about how they make coffee or whether someone speaks eloquently or what type of water they are fishing in as long as it's fly fishing and the fish look fun! Personally I'll fish in a retention pond , a sump or a large mud puddle if it's got fish and they'll eat my flys! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
bigjim5589, pa dave and dakotakid like this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 11-03-2013, 03:03 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
Check this video, I think the rig is just right for a Noob like me.
I watched that and the first thing I thought is, "good Lord, if you have had a double hookup..." It would be a wild ride.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:40 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa dave View Post
I watched that and the first thing I thought is, "good Lord, if you have had a double hookup..." It would be a wild ride.
You'd better have a video camera handy when that happens.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:16 PM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

Part of the beauty of carp on the fly is that you can find them in so many places. One can fish a retention pond, a small river, a big river (my main stomping grounds) a drainage canal, or the crystal clear great lakes. Carp are cool to me because they adapt to their environment so well. On my main water, they eat clams and nymphs, on Lake MI, they eat mainly crayfish and gobies...their forage makes a significant difference in what flies you use, and how you fish those flies. Combine that challenge, with the awesome sight fishing aspect and the (at times) nearly imperceptible takes and carp are flat out awesome on a fly rod. Jay and Erin are absolute experts on carp...I don't blame them at all for being excited to get one to eat, regardless of what water they are fishing, or how big the carp are. These fish are not easy to catch on artificial flies.

As for life lessons, etc...I think most of fish for more than just the fish. We each have our own reasons, but I'm betting we all agree they go far beyond the mere catching/landing of fish.
ia_trouter likes this.

Carp on the Fly
Old 11-04-2013, 04:34 PM

bloomagoo will become famous soon enoughbloomagoo will become famous soon enough

I very much enjoyed the video. I could criticize elements of it but the truth is, I watched it through to the end and was glad I did.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:30 PM

arreflections is on a distinguished road

Cool video. You got to love the golden bonefish!
Old 12-04-2013, 11:46 AM

vanish will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhist_palm View Post
although it may have been a tad bit over dramatic for fishing carp in a retention pond...?

Aw man, my home lake got called a retention pond

I was actually out on the lake one of the days they were filming this video. They're both way better fishermen than I!