The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 12:11 PM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Give carp a try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanish View Post
Aw man, my home lake got called a retention pond

I was actually out on the lake one of the days they were filming this video. They're both way better fishermen than I!
im really not as big of a jerk as my initial post may have come across

im sure both are fine fisherman

it (video) just wasn't my cup of tea

opinions are like ___________.......
Old 12-04-2013, 02:37 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

(Sorry )

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:05 PM

gretch6364 is on a distinguished road

I would like to learn how to fish for carp this summer. I live along the bike path by the S. Platte...so figuring I will start there. I enjoyed the video and Jay has done a lot for carp fishing in the front range, even if the video is somewhat about selling his flies and her book.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:41 PM

mrp1 has a spectacular aura aboutmrp1 has a spectacular aura about

I enjoyed the video. Erin's writing is superb. Both Erin and Jay have a passion for fly fishing for carp; I do too. Their enthusiasm makes me smile.

Oh, oh, while this next paragraph isn't meant to stir up trouble, I know it might in a small way. To the video critics I would ask politely, "Have you taken any video of your own fishing?" "Have you produced any video?"

I'm working on two videos at this time. One of them is, "I Dream of Warm Summer Days of Carp Fishing." It was 22 degrees at the Carp Lodge a few days ago. Everything was covered in frozen fog. It was stark but beautiful. While it so cold out I enjoy videos like the one with Erin and Jay. Their video makes me smile and dream of warm summer days.

Mr. P.'s Blog
Old 01-06-2014, 09:41 AM

What fly lines are people using for Carp? Anyone trying the clear lines? Is everyone using a floating line, or a 1.5 sinking line?
jbird likes this.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:31 PM

kicker19 will become famous soon enoughkicker19 will become famous soon enough

this winter has been rough on my fishing addiction. between the rain, muddy lakes and rivers, the cold, and now the entire area under a layer of ice..its been videos like this, many videos to be honest, fishing books, and lots of fly tying that has kept me going till things are a little better. i must be completely oblivious to certain things (a blessing and a curse) pertaining to this video and others. i had no idea that lady was a writer or there was something trying to be sold. seeing videos like this excites me about fishing, knowing others out there understand its more than fish, locations, or certain gear that makes this lifestyle so exciting.
just my two cents, and maybe some ranting. not entirely sure where i was going with that, think cabin fever is taking effect HAHAHA
jbird likes this.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:44 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
What fly lines are people using for Carp? Anyone trying the clear lines? Is everyone using a floating line, or a 1.5 sinking line?
I don't see it as necessary as carp are typically pursued in shallow waters. They are compared to bonefish because of their feeding behavior. Also, a good amount of carp fishing is sight casting to fish. Its pretty rare that you would want a fast strip presentation for them. In fact, its typically very slow, which does not lend itself to sinking lines.
If you had a fishery that was say, 6-8' deep and you suspected they were cruising the bottom and you wanted to blind cast, then yes, a clear intermediate would serve you well. but that is not typical carp fishing.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird View Post
I don't see it as necessary as carp are typically pursued in shallow waters. They are compared to bonefish because of their feeding behavior. Also, a good amount of carp fishing is sight casting to fish. Its pretty rare that you would want a fast strip presentation for them. In fact, its typically very slow, which does not lend itself to sinking lines.
If you had a fishery that was say, 6-8' deep and you suspected they were cruising the bottom and you wanted to blind cast, then yes, a clear intermediate would serve you well. but that is not typical carp fishing.
Thanks. I ended up purchasing an Airflo Super-Dri line. We will see how it fishes.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:20 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

I may be a little late to chime in on this conversation, but I'm now using the Cortland Carp boss. It has a very long back taper, which allows you to carry a ton of line in the air with accuracy. It has a tip section that is extremely high-float that is white. Really lands nicely in the water. They are using Polyethylene for their fly line material now, which is strong and extremely slick! The white tip also helps a lot when you're watching for subtle takes. Again, I'm sorry that I showed up late for this conversation.

---------- Post added at 10:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 AM ----------

Reading back on this, and I know that I've spoke with John Montana about this several times, my fishing situation is very, very different than any of the situations in this thread. Most of the water that I fish around here are oxford lakes and tributaries from the Missouri rivers. If you were to take a jar with you and scoop a bit of water up, then put a fly on the other side of the jar and attempt to take a look through the jar at the fly, you couldn't see it. The carp, here, rely on sound and silhouettes. Of course, smell is a factor as well. So, when I fish carp here, most of my time is spent blind stripping, or watching for tails. A lot of times, in the rivers, I will put a fly under a very small indicator and swing it through the current with a twitch or 10. When we fish the Missouri for carp, we often look for carp skimming the surface. Then, we throw a dark fly in the area that we "think" they're in, count to one, do a hard strip set. This is because they are usually on the fly as soon as it hits the water. If they aren't immediately on the fly, then we start our normal strip, strip, pause type of retrieve.

Now, I come to my point. You guys talk about all of these crystal clear carp fisheries and to me it sounds like a fantasy land. I think... "if I only had that..." (Yes, I'm slightly jealous ) Again, as many of you said, every fishing situation is different. Forage is different. etc. Here, I could tell you EVERY fly that works and what doesn't. I'm sure John could do the same for his area.
jbird likes this.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:48 AM

Thanks for the reply. From the reading I have done, situations around the country as so different. Here, it seems our cast are very very short and yes, we can see the fish and are fishing to a specific fish. The one saying I have heard that explains it well, "If you can't see your fly in the water, you have probably lost the battle before it started."

At least this is on the Platte. I am very new to this whole thing and have only been out a time or two. I don't know how long the Platte is going to even last as a good carp fishery. I hope a long time, but if they don't find a way to create more habitat and allow for more carp in the river, I don't think it will. From talking with people, I get the impression the carp are becoming very trained and even more difficult to catch due to the amount of fishing pressure and the limited number of holes to target them at. From what I have seen, this is true for the "downtown" holes.