The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2014, 12:37 PM

twfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Give carp a try!

Nothing gets my blood going and my heart racing more than thinking about carp... man I miss carp... I have fished for them my whole life and I even fished for them competitively for many years. That being said that was over in South Africa and was with bait. Just before I left South Africa I discovered carp on the fly and since then I have had a knack of moving where carp don't live. Even now I live 2.5hours away from the nearest carp, and while doable I have so much other fantastic fishing that is much closer, argh... maybe one day I'll convince my wife to move...

I will fish for anything, and whatever lives closest to me will get a lot of my attention, well cos that way I can fish more often. I wish I lived closer to carp. So for those of you lucky #%$@% who do live close to carp and want to try fishing for them with a fly please pay close attention to the advice that was given in this video and by others. Carp, while prolific and hungry (they get big for a reason) are one of the toughest fish to fool with a fly. There is no silver bullet, if you happen to have a mulberry tree or cottonwoods hanging over the river where you are then great, that's awesome! But tying a mulberry fly and going to look for a tree is not going to work. If you want to catch these fish you need to be prepared to take your set of skills to the next level and beyond.

Carp will eat what is available and expend the least amount of energy possible to do so. So if you want to catch carp you need to find the fish, find the food, match the food and then present it perfectly and get used to a lot of rejection. Much easier said than done. That being said if you want to try catch carp take a wide variety of flies with and don't expect to catch anything for a while, if you do, enjoy it! Sight fishing for carp has to be the absolute best way to get skunked, well for me anyway... Just wish I could get it happen more often....
Old 01-30-2014, 03:49 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Give carp a try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twfitw View Post
Sight fishing for carp has to be the absolute best way to get skunked
LOL! Love it!
stl_geoff likes this.