The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Warmwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Give carp a try! (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/335054-give-carp-try.html)

jbird 10-22-2013 06:10 PM

Give carp a try!

Long Shot on Vimeo

siege 10-22-2013 09:36 PM

Re: Give carp a try!

Thanks for posting the video, it was interesting. You'd never think a fish that ugly could feel so beautiful on the end of a flyline :thmbup:

rickf 10-22-2013 09:47 PM

Neat video!

They copied the start from the award winning "Once in a Blue Moon" . The coffee pot and the smoke in the chimney?

john montana 10-23-2013 10:32 AM

Loved the vid...Personally, I think Erin Block is the best fly fishing writer out there right now. She and Jay obviously know carp!

cowpokey 10-24-2013 04:08 AM

Very nice! They really know their carp. :D

rickf 10-31-2013 12:27 AM

After watching the video again, I really like it, but I have a few comments:

Erin Block seems to be promoting a book. She tries to act like a college educated girl? LOL Nice girl, but seems to be shacking up with a semi-retarded guy Jay Zimmerman? She didn't measure the coffee before putting it in the grinder ...... probably doesn't give a sh!t? Maybe too busy writing books?

The pond seems to be polluted and in a development? All the carp had legions / sores on them. They would have had more fun with bluegills and UL fly rods, but the vid looks like carp are the only fish that can tolerate that sewage pond? I'll bet that they asked permission to fish that pond? Jay doesn't seem to be able to afford to live there?

Final point: When Jay was tying the fly, he went on and on about how the stupid sickly carp would break his line! WTF? Like I said before, he seemed semi-retarded to me!

But I still liked the vid! Fly fishing for carp is neat!

pa dave 10-31-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickf (Post 606413)

Erin Block seems to be promoting a book. She tries to act like a college educated girl? LOL Nice girl, but seems to be shacking up with a semi-retarded guy Jay Zimmerman? She didn't measure the coffee before putting it in the grinder ...... probably doesn't give a sh!t? Maybe too busy writing books?

The pond seems to be polluted and in a development? All the carp had legions / sores on them. They would have had more fun with bluegills and UL fly rods, but the vid looks like carp are the only fish that can tolerate that sewage pond? I'll bet that they asked permission to fish that pond? Jay doesn't seem to be able to afford to live there?

Final point: When Jay was tying the fly, he went on and on about how the stupid sickly carp would break his line! WTF? Like I said before, he seemed semi-retarded to me!

I believe that Erin Block is a college educated person. I'm not sure what put a burr under your tail when you posted this, but I think calling others "semi-retarded" and worrying about measuring coffee (heck, I haven't measured my coffee beans for years) is not a well thought out or carefully considered criticism.

rickf 10-31-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pa dave (Post 606492)
not a well thought out or carefully considered criticism.

dave,

Yeah, sorry for the comment! I was frustrated last night with a gigantic "bird nest" with my brand new PowerPro on my bait casting crappie rig!

You can't take my comments too seriously, dude! It's just free speech?

jbird 10-31-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickf (Post 606413)

Im not sure how you got any of this from that video?? Looks like a couple carp addicts havin a blast to me. If I had access to a reservoire like that, Id fish it every day :)

mcnerney 10-31-2013 04:52 PM

Jay: Thanks for sharing the video, very enjoyable. No carp around here (7,200 ft elevation). Although I did land a very nice Mirror Carp on a 5 wt rod over on the Miracle Mile last month, that definitely made my day.

Larry