The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 12:12 AM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice
Default I haven't been fly fishing in a while! No posts?

Who knows why ....... only time!

"Only Time"

Who can say where the road goes
Where the stream flows, only time
And who can say if your love for fly fishing grows
As your heart chose, only time

Who can say why your Helios sighs
As your love to tie flies fades, only time
And who can say why your heart cries
When your fly fishing love lies, only time

Who can say when the roads meet
That a spin rod might be in your hand
And who can say when the crappie bite
If the fall bite keeps all your heart
A spin rod keeps all your heart

Who can say if your love for fly fishing grows
As your heart chose
- Only time
And who can say where the road goes
Where the day flows, only time

Who knows? Only time

I could catch a carp or two, maybe a few bluegill, but I have been catchin' over 50 big crappie every time I go out with a spin rod fishing in deep water. I have a freezer full of vacuum bagged crappie fillets!

Fishing is fun! I had to put my fly rod down to catch a bunch of edible fish?

I still love fly fishing, but I'm not stupid!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2QNPTYitHQ
Old 11-02-2013, 01:33 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I haven't been fly fishing in a while! No posts?

I'll be there with you in a month or so when the crappie, we call them specks down here, turn on. Its a winter time deeper water game and I've been tying up some 1/16th oz. jigs to fish with a four pound ultra light. I did however buy an ultra fast sinking head for my four weight, so I'll try that as well. But to be honest crappie are really one of the only three species where I am a serious meat fisherman. I generally C@R, but crappie? They put up a pretty boring fight by bass or even large bluegill standards, but man they are good to eat, and I get kind of medieval towards putting some fillets in the freezer. I'm the same way with cat fish and pompano. I very rarely target either, but when I do its with dinner in mind.
I think its healthy. It doesn't pay to get prissy. Fishing started as a survival excersize, not a rarefied sport. Some times we need to remind ourselves of our roots, and taking home a mess of crappie or catfish is a good way to do it.And tasty too.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:55 AM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

fq,

Same here! I kinda like the omega three's in fresh fish caught in a non polluted lake.

I'm also a C&R guy, but the trout are terrible to eat, and nobody eats a stinkin' carp!! LOL

The "only time" vid is just perfect for my love for fly fishing? I'll hit the trout all winter C&R, but the thrill of these big 14" Crappie grabbing my 1/64 oz jig with 2 lb NanoFil is even more fun than a sickly carp on a 7 wt?!

I purchased a neat vacuum bag system. It keeps the fillets fresh in the freezer:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:15 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
fq,

Same here! I kinda like the omega three's in fresh fish caught in a non polluted lake.

I'm also a C&R guy, but the trout are terrible to eat, and nobody eats a stinkin' carp!! LOL

The "only time" vid is just perfect for my love for fly fishing? I'll hit the trout all winter C&R, but the thrill of these big 14" Crappie grabbing my 1/64 oz jig with 2 lb NanoFil is even more fun than a sickly carp on a 7 wt?!

I purchased a neat vacuum bag system. It keeps the fillets fresh in the freezer:

Click the image to open in full size.
Got one of those. They last longer if you saran wrap before putting them in the vacume bags. I've been hitting crappie.com for some tips. Man, its like night and day from a fly fishing board. There the big political divide is whether to fillet your fish or fry them whole. ROFL! I love it. It actually is a good site those guys are scary knowlegeable about things like bottom structure and temperture and the like. I've just been a couple of times, but I've learned a lot about a fish I ignore most of the time.