The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By muppetmullet81
  • 3 Post By bmbailes
  • 2 Post By muppetmullet81

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 04:12 PM

muppetmullet81 is on a distinguished road
Default Bass PRO HEAT Rods

Has anyone here ever used or uses one of the bass pro shop HEAT rods. My son is getting older and I want to get him his own 8wt. I have seen some good reviews on their web site but I would love to hear from guys on the page.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:05 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Bass PRO HEAT Rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetmullet81 View Post
Has anyone here ever used or uses one of the bass pro shop HEAT rods. My son is getting older and I want to get him his own 8wt. I have seen some good reviews on their web site but I would love to hear from guys on the page.
I have a like new 2 piece Bass Pro nine foot eight weight White River SC IV. It is in mint shape no dings or wear marks. Its, medium to medium fast action. Its good for bass, less so on the flats. But if you want to throw a popper or clouser fifty to sixty feet its good to go.Its very pleasant to cast. It also has a nice fighting butt. I just don't need it as I bought a much faster Orvis which is better for the salt. Its yours for $65 in a pvc tube or $80 in a nice threaded aluminium tube. I'll pay shipping.

Last edited by fq13; 11-03-2013 at 06:42 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:28 PM

kylebass91 has a spectacular aura aboutkylebass91 has a spectacular aura about

I've never fished one but I have test casted one. They feel to clubby to me. If I got the 8 I feel like I'd need a 9-10 weight line just to load the rod casting that all day doesnt sound fun to me
Old 01-10-2014, 12:26 PM

bucktail will become famous soon enoughbucktail will become famous soon enough

I had a ten weight heat for a while I traded it to a buddy but I wish I had kept it. That was a fun rod and casting was a breeze at 7'10"
Old 01-10-2014, 12:39 PM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

believe it or not, the three bass pro fly fishing items i own, i wouldnt trade for anything

white river 270 fly reel
3wt classic fly rod
white river sling ranger fly pack

cant really answer for the heat rod but i have been happy with my purchases there

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 AM ----------

edit: theres four

riseform fly boxes
Old 01-10-2014, 12:54 PM

imalt is on a distinguished road

They feel a little like casting a telephone pole. I had a 10 wt but I broke it trying to land a big musky. It has it's purpose but I think their our better rods out there for about the same money.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:54 PM

I'm actually a big fan of bass pro gear. I bought my oldest a 8ft 5wt cricket fly rod from bass pro shop when he was 7. Matched with a decent line and a simple reel and he was catching small trout and panfish in a no time. The rod was really nice, simple, foam grip rather than cork. Nothing fancy but great to fish with. His younger sister uses it now and he is moved up to some of my gear. But I love dealing with Bass pro. I have always found their gear to be very good and affordable which when you have three kiddos its nice to not spend a fortune on everything.
baseman1 and buddhist_palm like this.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:50 PM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice

i would get him the tfo "bass pro" exclusive hawgleg. i had one and loved it. my buddy needed an 8wt and i wanted to upgrade to 3 piece mini mag.

but this rod has some nice backbone
Click the image to open in full size.
jml43, baseman1 and kingofamberley like this.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:34 PM

jml43 is on a distinguished road

I second the TFO. i love using my hawgleg.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:50 AM

I let him pick his rod out. He ended up picking out a Scientific Angler Bass package. The man at the shop let him cast one and he like it. Plus he said he could buy a new fly box for all his new bass flies. I like the way this kid thinks. He had his money and he pick out what was going to fit best in his range. I really like the rod by the way. 7/8 wt, decent composit reel, its no Sage, but its very nice. And if he trips and breaks a rod tip its very replaceable.
bmbailes and nir like this.