The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 04:30 PM

fr8dog is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Crappie on the fly?

Find out when they spawn in your area. They move into really shallow areas with cover. I've pulled them out of 1 foot of water many times. Most times though, @ 3-4' on size 6 or 4 beadchain clousers. I tie up a few with light mono weedguards so I can throw into the sticks. The sink rate is usually a big deal, depending on how active they are. A few colors, some light, some dark, are all that I've ever found necessary.

They're fun on the fly, and when they are on you can catch a pile. Had some 100 fish days here. Keep 20 for the fryer, get the rest another day.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:34 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Impressive collection Jim, are you opening a flyshop?

I think I will try to tie a few of those. I have been catching a few crappie while targeting gills.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:59 PM

muppetmullet81 is on a distinguished road

Schminnows tied all in black or all in white with chain bead eyes instead of mono eyes and let the fly sink for a few seconds before you start your retrieve. That and clousers tied in pretty much any bright color you want but with chain bead eyes instead of heavy dumbbell eyes. Crappie are best caught with small jigs one conventional tackle so just try to copy that motion and you are in panfish paradise. Oh size 2 hooks are what I prefer as well.

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

Bigjim I just gotta say every time I see your flies I am blown away. You are truely a master of the craft. The attention to detail is just amazing. I hope one day my fly boxes will look even half as good as yours. Thanks for the inspiration.
bigjim5589 likes this.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:39 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

In Colorado, I've caught them on San Juans, bead head nymphs, small buggers, dry-dropper and small minnow patterns like deceivers or clousers. 3wt is a lot of fun for the smaller crappie we have here.
They're a great fish to chase away the skunk with... bass or carp don't want to play? Go for the crappie and gills!
bloomagoo likes this.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:46 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i've caught allot of crappie on a fly rod.
i get some good action from a #10 bh green weenie fly
fished slow with a wf-f line a slow retrieve.

casey
bigjim5589 and oldtownpaddler like this.

ARFE
Old 11-03-2013, 08:32 PM

frogg will become famous soon enoughfrogg will become famous soon enough

I've had a lot of fun targeting crappie with a flyrod! Most have been caught by stripping a pink woolly bugger in one of my local ponds.
I have also brought a few to hand using a beadhead nymph in olive with a marabou tail.

Chris
bigjim5589 likes this.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:50 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Amazing collection of flies BigJim. With so many to pick from, I'd have a hard time deciding what to use. Nice problem to have.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:15 PM

rickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the rough

BigJim,

What a fine collection of flies! Sometimes I think it's more fun to tie the flies than it is to go fishing with them?

The unweighted ones with a sink tip line work the best for me. To be honest, sometimes I nose hook a Gulp Alive 1" minnow on a size 14 scud hook ....... now, that's a good minnow imitation !
Old 11-03-2013, 11:57 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
BigJim,

What a fine collection of flies! Sometimes I think it's more fun to tie the flies than it is to go fishing with them?

The unweighted ones with a sink tip line work the best for me. To be honest, sometimes I nose hook a Gulp Alive 1" minnow on a size 14 scud hook ....... now, that's a good minnow imitation !
Only if you're a crappie tier. ROFLMFAO.
tbblom likes this.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:44 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Around here, black crappie are called calico bass and for me the best fishing for them is on sunny days in the early spring not long after ice-out
They school up in shallow south facing bays where the water is the warmest.
This can be a lot of fun as it's the first top-water action of the year.
Any kind of little poppers work as the calicos have the "feedbag" on after a long cold winter