The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 03:28 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Crappie on the fly?

I have, until recently mostly ignored crappie as here in Fl they tend to lie deep. But in the winter they come into shallower water. Does anyone have any patterns or techniques, or is this mostly a spinning rod game?
Old 11-03-2013, 04:11 AM

flymoron is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Crappie on the fly?

I never target them specifically, but sometimes get them as an unintentional "bonus". Usually I am using smaller Clousers, Deceivers, and bluegill bully spiders.
If it is spawning time in the spring, you can catch them in water so shallow it is barely covering there backs(or seems so).
Old 11-03-2013, 07:53 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Like bass, crappies tend to be structure or cover oriented when they're shallow. At least that seems to be the case here. I've heard of folks catching them shallow, in open waters during insect hatches, but that's an occasional occurrence. They're opportunist too, just like bass, and they like to be places where they can ambush whatever happens by & also escape from bigger predators. The bigger ones seem to feed heavily on smaller fishes & crayfish, but I have caught some bigger ones that had a lot of insect remains in their stomachs.

I've never felt I had to use special flies to catch them, but have caught them on a wide variety. I usually keep it simple when targeting them.

The largest crappie I ever caught was in a water supply pond, used to supply water for washing sand & gravel & for making concrete. That fish was 18" long, and hit a 2/0 size bass popper. Most I've caught have been 12" or less, and in the tidal creeks I fish it's more usual to catch them 8" or less.

Here's some flies I like to use:
Buggers:
One of my favorites!
Click the image to open in full size.

Various Flashy Flies with or without spinners:

Clouser Minnows, tied with small brass barbell eyes or bead chain.

Polar Flash Clousers, again light weight & appropriate size hooks, 8 to 2.

Small Rabbit Strip patterns:

Various Shad & Steelhead type flies work great on all types of panfish;

Simple feather wing streamers. White with some flash has worked well for me, but I'll use other colors too, including black.
rickf, flymoron, dakotakid and 3 others like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 11-03-2013, 07:55 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

A few more:

"Bonefish" or "Flats" type flies that imitate shrimp or small baitfishes. There are scuds, grass shrimp & small crayfishes in many or our waters, and Crappies will feed on them, as will the Perches & Sunfishes.
cpiercem, theboz and jimp like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 11-03-2013, 08:09 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Dang! All of those look awesome. I like the multi colored buggers. And I'll have to try some spinners to. I guess I know how I'll be spending the day.
Thanks.
bigjim5589 likes this.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:29 AM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

As flymoron already mentioned, they will take a bully spider. Chartreuse works best for me. However, my favorite fly for panfish (bluegill and crappie) is the Briminator with the following:
- Olive tail using the fluff from any olive hackle feather
- Olive or green dubbing,
- Gold bead chain, and
- Pheasant feather hackle collar.
http://ultralightflyfishing.com/foru...hp?f=94&t=2353

With this Briminator pattern, I've caught LMB, crappie, perch, sunfish and bluegill. If there's fish in the water, they seem to be interested in this fly.
bigjim5589 likes this.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:19 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

When Crappies are deep I do very well with bead head nymphs fished on the bottom with a twitch. In the summer evenings as they come to shore to feed can't beat Gurglers in the dark! When they are spawning I think they will hit just about anything! As has already been said the rest of the time find the structure especially wood and you'll find fish . At this time you want to suspend your fly and very little motion is needed!
bigjim5589 likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 11-03-2013, 11:37 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I've always had great luck using flies with a marabou tail, ala the flies in BigJim's pictures. At least up here in Michigan, crappie target minnows as a prefered prey, and the marabou provides a profile and action that is very effective.
bigjim5589 likes this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 11-03-2013, 03:14 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

I know crappie like plastic grubs and minnows, so anything that will resemble a plastic grub with a tail, should work, anything that resembles a minnow will or should work, black and chart is a good color to start with but they are picky critters, so a wide variety of colors covering the entire spectrum, from dark to light/white, hot pink, orange, etc., will work on some days and not others. An orange bead head and the some other color(s) on the body may work today but not tomorrow, or any color combo may or may not work on any particular day.

Google plastic grubs and you'll find some/lots of color combos and go from there.

Bigjim's flys look great btw.
bigjim5589 likes this.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:53 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Crappie are pushovers for a fly when you do find them. As has been stated, they are structure oriented and can be found near the surface in open water during some hatches. They will sun themselves in shallow water in the morning sun. I have caught crappie on just about everything I use for gills. One thing that is very unique about these fish is how softly they bite. They are notorious for taking your fly and swimming at you with it. Bites can go completely undetected. sight fishing to them will prove this. An insanely deadly way to catch them is with an indicator. You can dangle a micro bugger and small nymph into structure. A little surface ripple helps give natural action. Or you can do a tiny twitch. Anything, and I mean ANYTHING diferent with the indicator can mean a bite. Sometimes ites as subtle as watching it ride the ripples and then suddenly a ripple goes over it.

Also, once you find one, theres likely to be more. In some cases, many, many more!
bigjim5589 and flymoron like this.