The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 07:06 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Fishing a popper?

Funny to read this thread for me; I rarely see a rise to a popper and I have fished them as advised above. I have much better luck with sliders and divers.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:10 PM

flymoron is on a distinguished road

calm water, daylight and dusk.....
Old 11-22-2013, 01:49 PM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough

I think it all depends on the (year). Last year I use poppers 98% of the time and I've caught countless Bluegill's and Bass even a few crappies. But this year I didn't have the same luck (only spring was good) even tho I did fish the same colors and different colors with different approaches.

The way I fish popper's:

1.) I always use a popper with white legs and hard body poppers. Foam the fish would destroy

2.) Spring and the summer....I will look more for cover, shaded area's, and along weeds. Day of time means a lot to in the summer fish than early in the morning (dawn) and again near dark or even at dark (Dusk). The spring I will fish more near the banks as they are chasing bluegill's which they will go for your popper

3.) Technique. What everyone is saying is the way to fish them, I also found out when it's not working great, try this: As soon as your popper hits the water pop it fast and a few feet stop for just a few seconds and repeat this way works for me near lily's and stumps.

4.) Colors. My number color popper is Purple they love it here. Try red/black, frog pattern, bluegill color patterns white works good to.

5.) All you need on popper size is #6-#10 even try #2-#4 depending on how big for the bass are.

6.) Go out there and experiment with different colors and technique's, all bodies of water aren't the same.

Go have fun.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:09 PM

boyscout is on a distinguished road

I lean more toward brookfieldangler's tactics but that being said, I fish more rivers than lakes and I think that makes a difference.

My first presentation is slam it down hard and start popping. In rivers there is so much noise from rushiing water I'm convinced loud rapid pops helps. The fish also only have a few seconds to make a decision and the sooner they know the bait is there the better.

However, early in the season I have learned to slow it down and twitch/swim it and some times slam it down and do nothing works best. But once it gets hot like in late May/June (I'm in SC), usually they want it fast and hard.

BTW, in still calm lakes, I start out slap down and do nothing for a while and then twitches and swim slow. If that don't work I speed up till I find what they want...if I know for sure I am over bass like I'm seeing follows and refusals.

Ofcourse I prefer those times when it's a matter of JUST GET THE FLY ON THE WATER!

What is the best way to retrieve a surface bug? Let the fish tell you.

Good luck and hope this helps!

Here is a good LM I caught when it was 95F, water temp was above 80F and at around 1pm and using rapid hard pops on a hair bug...on a river with lots of O2 from mild shoals (that is key).

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:58 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Used to live and die by poppers! Live getting smashed on top whether it's a hard body popper, slider , diver or deer hair bug! But I've become a convert to the Gurgler! What a great top water! You can pop it, twitch it, make it dive , wiggle it , drift it or just still fish it and man does it catch fish! I believe the fact that the business part ( the bottom ) of the Gurgler is more buggy than the standard popper and the lip in front creates such a splash that it stands on it's own! Having used bigSW ones and tiny ones all with excellent results!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser