The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By angelo1987
  • 1 Post By ted4887

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 05:23 PM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough
Default 1st attempts at tying gill poppers

I couldn't find the tying thread on this site, than again my computer has been acting up lately for unknown reasons. Today I was able to practice my popper tying, I need better/newer material but I think they will catch some fish. My wife did the paint jobs on both poppers.

I need better wrapping hackle skills I think.

This was my first attempt at a popper, I mess my wife's paint up (she's a bit mad)

Click the image to open in full size.

This was my 2nd attempt at a popper

Click the image to open in full size.

Anyone got some tips/material knowledge on popper's please feel free to tell
baseman1 likes this.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:32 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 1st attempts at tying gill poppers

That's a good start on some poppers! Keep on tying 'em and they'll improve.

The only tip I'll offer would be to place the foam popper on last. I start my thread right at the the point I want my hackle to stop, and build the fly up from there. Once I'm done with the hackle, I'll lay down a thick base of thread and glue and place my popper head on.This allows you to easily wrap the hackle and tie off while not leaving a large gap between the foam and the hackle. Aside from that, just keep practicing and they'll improve.

And you're one lucky guy! Your wife paints your popper heads and all you have to do is tie them? What a life!

Edit: After a second look, the pink ones tail should be a lot shorter. Try to make the tail about one hook shank long. Any longer than that, and you'll get more than your fair of missed strikes.
angelo1987 likes this.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:43 PM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the tip, I was placing the popper head on 1st from watching a few youtube video's. It didn't seem like a bad item, I think later I'll try one more Oh is Marabou a good choice for popper tail's? I've looking around and I really can't find a recipe for poppers. (can't search good). My made the tail longer for Bass, Here they love popper and some with a long tail and I also made the legs just a bit longer to. Both poppers also have 3 red dots under their head

My wife is great I don't like to paint, well my wife don't mind I ask and she has no problem, she's not complaining I'am not complaining
Old 12-02-2013, 06:47 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Your hackle wrapping is art compared to mine. I tried soft hackle gill flies for the first time today, and what a waste of good partridge. I got three ugly but usemi usable and three that went straight to the razor blade. Size 14 s are small. I will return to it tommorow.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:12 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo1987 View Post
Oh is Marabou a good choice for popper tail's?

You're on the right track. With some practice, you'll definitely get there. Marabou is probably the most popular, but you can use about anything. Calftail, bucktail, rabbit strips, craft fur, saddle hackle are all things that I've seen used before. Really, the options are limitless on poppers. It's all a matter of what you and the fish prefer.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:12 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Those look great. If you get lazy, try using some foam for the heads. They might not look as nice as yours, but the fish won't mind.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo