The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Warmwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Best bluegill fishing? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/3399-best-bluegill-fishing.html)

nralover 02-21-2008 07:18 AM

Best bluegill fishing?

Guys- what is your opinion of the best spot for trophy bluegill in the U.S. ? I am not talking about private ponds and the like- I mean public lakes, etc...

tie one on 02-21-2008 08:12 PM

Re: Best bluegill fishing?

I guess that depends on what you consider trophy
size bluegill. I fished those "little fighters" all my life,
but the biggest ones I've ever seen in the US were at
Baldwin Bait & Tackle in Baldwin, Michigan mounted &
in a display case. I did inquire as to where they came
from, but the exact location was not disclosed. I truly
have not found a "great" spot yet in West Michigan for
bluegill, but hope to try this spring. I'll keep watch on
your thread to see what sopts are reported.

Tie One On

P.S. Frank may know of a spot in Florida. I think he
knows were the bass are found.

santo 02-23-2008 02:46 PM

Are you looking for good sized by pounds or length? Look for any pond with some water flowing into it. Brings food to the pond and feeds the gills!

I hit a lot of these little ponds in NJ. On an average day within 2 hours I can pick up a few dozen with about 3-4 being 1ft or larger. They don't fight as much but they are still fun to catch.

santo

nralover 02-23-2008 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by santo (Post 21732)
Are you looking for good sized by pounds or length? Look for any pond with some water flowing into it. Brings food to the pond and feeds the gills!

I hit a lot of these little ponds in NJ. On an average day within 2 hours I can pick up a few dozen with about 3-4 being 1ft or larger. They don't fight as much but they are still fun to catch.

santo

12" bluegill? Holy cow- you are blessed:) I have caught some shellcrackers that were 11 or 12 inches, but no 'gills! Are you guys sure my 5wt rod is enough, LOL...

mjg710a 02-23-2008 05:31 PM

Forge Pond on the Peconic river, Riverhead NY. This river system was an area that they were managing for largemouth bass, they encouraged people to take the panfish, this prevented the stunting that you find alot of places. Huge bluegills, huge crappie and bass 5-6 pounds are caught quite regularly.

Mike

nralover 02-28-2008 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg710a (Post 21744)
Forge Pond on the Peconic river, Riverhead NY. This river system was an area that they were managing for largemouth bass, they encouraged people to take the panfish, this prevented the stunting that you find alot of places. Huge bluegills, huge crappie and bass 5-6 pounds are caught quite regularly.

Mike

Sounds like my kinda water:)

Frank Whiton 02-28-2008 11:41 AM

P.S. Frank may know of a spot in Florida. I think he
knows were the bass are found.

I only know secret spots.:wink:

I have not fished for Bluegills in Florida. The few I have caught in my home waters were not large. I was surprised that the Bluegills were not a lot bigger. The lakes I fish are managed for bass and not a lot is done for other fish. I have been thinking about looking for some gills. We have been having drought here for a couple of years and no hurricanes, so the lakes I fish are too low to launch my bass boat. I would like to do some Kayak fishing but my back won't let that happen.

Frank

TCF 03-06-2008 12:16 PM

Lake o the Pines and Fairfield in Texas.

BIG OLE bluegills. I caught a 1.25 pounder on Fairfield on a hopper last August.

Reactor 03-07-2008 12:04 PM

The largest ones I caught were in Lake George New York on the North end of the lake. Big, is big enough you cannot get your hand around them when you are trying to take the hook out. With my hand that puts them around 7 inches wide in the girth. I'm just going from memory here so don't hang me on the number. The best time to catch them is late Spring. They were great fighters and clean too. That's right, they ended up battered and deep fried.

Cowboy 03-07-2008 12:08 PM

Have not fished there for several years, but my father-in-law and myself use to fish the Edisto River in SC. He would not keep any fish that was not bigger than his hand. And we caught alot bigger than that.