The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2008, 01:56 PM

cadhopper is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for another #8 bass fly rod

A big howdy to everyone from a new member. I live between Richmond and Fredericksburg Virginia and have been learning to fly fish for a little over 2 years. My favorite way to fish is from my 12' Wilderness kayak on small ponds and lakes. I hope to do a little small creek/river wading this year as soon as the water warms up and have already purchased a nice set of waders and boots from the local Orvis store. I think so the funnest days I had are catch big bluegill on a G-loomis Stream Dance Metolius #4 9' rod. After years of bass fishing with bait casting rods from a large bass boat I had forgotten how much fun and aggressive a bluegill could be.

I currently have several rods which includes a Sage #8 Xi2 which is a saltwater rod that I bought from a local fly shop because I had planned on doing a little saltwater surf fishing on some of my motorcycle trips. With my inexperience the rod feels like a broomstick so I'm wondering if the Sage FLi would feel more compliant for bass fishing from the kayak. Has anyone casted these two rods and can you tell me the difference in feel. Unfortunately the only local fly shop (Fly Fish The World) close to me has shut down. I'm not looking to spend another $600 on a fly rod but $350 or so would be acceptable.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:08 PM

cadhopper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Looking for another #8 bass fly rod

After searching the forum and the web it seems most people consider the Sage FLi to be a fast action rod. I took a trip to the Orvis store which is the only place around here that will let you try a rod. I tested a TLS Power Matrix mid flex 8 wt 9' and it seemed to be the ticket. I can feel the rod load as the line straights out behind me so that should help my timing. I matched it with a Battenkill mid arbor reel with WF8F line and the rod feels sweet. I can't wait to try this puppy on some massive carp and pickerel.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:06 PM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

cadhopper,

That rig should do the job just fine. The key thing is that you tested the rod. Your opinion of a rod is really the only one that matters. Have fun and nail some carp!

crosscurrentguideservice.com
Old 02-24-2008, 10:31 PM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

its hard to reccomend a rod without knowing how the other person casts but Ill just throw this out since i tried the rod one time at a casting demo and was really impressed with its smoothness and power---it was a 908-4 Elkhorn---if i broke my current favorite 8 wt i would buy one tomorrow---i think they run about 200 bucks or so