The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2014, 01:49 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: rods, reels and lines for smallies and such

It's a little bit of both but mostly for the flies/line we are going to throw. For me personally, I put it at 85/15. 85% of the importance goes to the size flies I plan on using. 15% goes to the fish.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:16 PM

muppetmullet81 is on a distinguished road

Your line weight really applies more the size fly you are casting rather than the fish you are trying to catch. But there are circumstances that the fish decides your rod size. For some bass anglers their fishing is more like trout fishing in that they are on small streams or ponds, little to no wind, dead drifting buggers or poppers, 2lb bass. And if this is what you are doing its awesome. You don't really need the bigger rod for this. But for some of us bass fishing is on big bodies of water. We have wind, heavy cover, and some of us have really big fish. Out here in the Nebraska/ Colorado area we have 15-20mph wind on our calm days. You just can't punch a fly through that with a 4 or 5 wt. If you could bone fisherman would be using them instead of 9wts. And we have big fish. On any given day at one of our lakes you can come across pike, musky, wiper. I've seen a 12lb wiper rip 150 yards of backing off a 9wt in a matter of seconds. There is no such this as the one perfect set up. Each body of water and its fish will dictate what kind of gear you use. That's why there are so many different rods, reels, lines, and flies. Good luck with your search for advice. I think a spey or switch rod for white bass and smallies would be kind of neat to try.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:46 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Craig

Hate to throw this out here on the forum because you're my best fishin bud, but you are being EXTREMELY impulsive the past few months. I know you are going to sell all your stuff again. That's fine if it's what you really gotta do. You haven't fly fished the water you are moving to so don't start guessing again.

After you sell out, then SLOW DOWN dude! Borrow one or two of my rigs and figure it out BEFORE you buy another nice setup and lose money yet again selling it a month or less later.

You know I got a new or like 3-4-5-6-8 WTs. Borrow whatever you want and actually figure out what you really need before you drop $500+ again. Hell, keep my rig forever if you need the equipment money to relocate. You helped me out when I was starting out so let me pay it back by at least loaning you a rig. You gotta stop flipping all your gear every three weeks.
craigthor likes this.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:48 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
Craig

Hate to throw this out here on the forum because you're my best fishin bud, but you are being EXTREMELY impulsive the past few months. I know you are going to sell all your stuff again. That's fine if it's what you really gotta do. You haven't fly fished the water you are moving to so don't start guessing again.

After you sell out, then SLOW DOWN dude! Borrow one or two of my rigs and figure it out BEFORE you buy another nice setup and lose money yet again selling it a month or less later.

You know I got a new or like 3-4-5-6-8 WTs. Borrow whatever you want and actually figure out what you really need before you drop $500+ again. Hell, keep my rig forever if you need the equipment money to relocate. You helped me out when I was starting out so let me pay it back by at least loaning you a rig. You gotta stop flipping all your gear every three weeks.
Now thats a good friend. And good advise
Old 01-09-2014, 04:19 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Thanks, concern is the big fish. I have a 7wt currently though the concern is a big fish destroying that rod as it is fairly full flex, maybe I just need to wait it out and reline that rod and have at them buggers.

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

Quote:
Craig

Well I'll hold on to the Leonard before I lose money on it.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:24 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Sounds like a plan. Slow down and it will all work out fine. If you want to explore selling the Leonard, throw it on the bay, put a reserve on it and you're out 5 bucks if it don't work out. No need to panic sell a nice classic rod.
craigthor likes this.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:25 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Sounds like a plan. Slow down and it will all work out fine.
I think I'll order a spool and do some line changes for spring chasing... So you going to come show me how it's done on these warm water guys?
Old 01-09-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthor View Post
I think I'll order a spool and do some line changes for spring chasing... So you going to come show me how it's done on these warm water guys?
Absolutely, mostly they are easier than trout. But the pike are tough where I live so you'll have to locate them around ice out and I will be there quick.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:25 PM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

Just curious Craig, but do you mind sharing your destination if you move?

Not sure if that was intentional

But for what it's worth well wishes for what may be going on.
craigthor likes this.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:29 PM

Ely, IA jsut outside Cedar Rapids. Cedar River is where I'll be heading.
buddhist_palm likes this.