The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2014, 02:44 PM

aggie182 will become famous soon enoughaggie182 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Non-rope Gar Flies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post

I catch 100% of the gar I cast at this fly this summer.
Sorry if this is a dumb question - I always assumed they were kind of suspended in the water column towards the top. With the beadchain, I would guess that fly pictured gets down. Are you finding them 'tailing', for lack of better words? The gar I have seen have been cruising or suspended high in the water column but I have never really pursued them so my knowledge on the subject is about .01 on a scale of 1-10.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:47 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

I fish that pattern for grass carp. It usually fishes right below the surface for me. It all depends on what size bead chain eyes you use. Of course, with grass carp, as soon as the fly hits the water I count to one and hard set the hook. Then, I start my retrieve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2014, 03:09 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie182 View Post
Sorry if this is a dumb question - I always assumed they were kind of suspended in the water column towards the top. With the beadchain, I would guess that fly pictured gets down. Are you finding them 'tailing', for lack of better words? The gar I have seen have been cruising or suspended high in the water column but I have never really pursued them so my knowledge on the subject is about .01 on a scale of 1-10.
I plop it right down in front of them and start to slowly strip it and they chase it right down and follow it up and down in the water. its fun watching their heads bob up and down if I twitch it in.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 01-13-2014, 03:14 PM

Nice. I hope I can find some of that action. I was on the Llano River a few years ago and cast my foam spider at one and he paid it a little attention but didn't eat it. This pond I am venturing to Friday is supposed to have a lot of them. We'll see. I am probably early in the year but heck, it got in to the 70s yesterday.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:16 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I find the best for them is when its extremely hot out. I guess the heat gets em all twitchy, just like me! :P I only cast to them if Im really bored and nothing else is happening, they are my "wont be skunked" fish haha

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 01-13-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
I find the best for them is when its extremely hot out. I guess the heat gets em all twitchy, just like me! :P I only cast to them if Im really bored and nothing else is happening, they are my "wont be skunked" fish haha
Haha, nice. What is the body of the black ops? Dubbing of some kind? EP brush?
Old 01-13-2014, 03:59 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

You can use a ton of material. I use angora goat dubbing because it's this. If you have a coffee grinder, you can mix cut carpet into a dubbing.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:20 PM

I use Ice Dub in peacock black, then mix in some purple and black angora when I have it. I tie it in with a dubbing loop to make it thick and then comb the snot out of it. OOOOORRR you can buy from Chris, then you can get some of his super carp gu-gu on it!

**even though the fly he gave me ended up stuck in the bottom of our ditch**

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 01-13-2014, 05:06 PM

I think Chris makes his dubbing from leftover hair and yarn mix that he buys from walmart and the craft stores.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:31 AM

Shhhh...you'll give his secret away. theres also squirrel tail in there :P

Storm Drain Bonefisher