The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2014, 09:46 AM

hailfly has a spectacular aura abouthailfly has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Non-rope Gar Flies?

If I'm not out of line here could I get a link to a recipe for that black ops fly ?
Thanks.
nir likes this.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:22 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

How about a video from Chris???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNVa75JI05w
hailfly and nir like this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 01-14-2014, 11:49 AM

aggie182 will become famous soon enoughaggie182 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all the replies. I came in to this thinking that this would be a quick practice for sight casting to fish standing in the kayak but after the responses, more research and reading, and thinking more about it, targeting gar sounds like a lot of fun. I am looking forward to giving it a go more this summer once they are more active, especially if this spot near the house proves to be productive.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:56 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

They are a lot of fun on fly rods. The longnose and spotted here will jump and to a tailstand for the first 10-15 second you have them hooked. They are amazingly fast and very jumpy, just make sure to stay clear of the business end when you get em close.

Also....bring a leather glove along. Their scales aren't the dullest things in the world ( they can cause small cuts ) and they make a slime coat that puts every other fish to shame. So they can be tricky to hold onto, the leather glove works well for that.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 01-14-2014, 12:03 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

When I was in LA last June I had no problem getting them to hit an Orange Gurgler. The dang things wouldn't even run if I hit them in the head with it, they would just get angry and snap at it.

My problem was setting the hook on one.

My buddy said that they like to hold the "Bait" sideways or something and you have to wait for them to turn it around or something like that.

Anyway, I kept yanking it out of their mouths.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:56 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

We've hooked bunches, lost bunches, landed some. We never ever use the rope deal. Just seems like a big PIA all around.

Our single favorite flies are Sea Ducers and Lefty's Deceiver. Both in any color as long as it has lots of white. We like that these cast easy in larger sizes, cheap to tie and simply get hits.

All we do is sight casting and the white seems to stir a hit versus other colors. Hooks have to be sharp sharp sharp. Don't trout set the hook but solid strip set.

These flies also sink slowly so it is easier to keep in the sight/strike zone. Closer you can get this to their eye the better. Small ones with chase but not the bigger better fish. If you get a hit and miss get the fly back but to the other side of their heads. Often we'll get another hit but almost never if on same side of head.

Shock tippet is up to you, wire sinks and kills action and increases sink time and reduces 'castability". We're using 50# about 6" long with some success, no losses due to this being cut. Lots of other excuses but not tippet.

Some are as wild a fish as you could hope for some are just plain lame in the fight.

Good luck,

Pete A.
delopez and kingofamberley like this.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:44 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

I would have to say yes to this. All of this. Deceivers are just fun to use, anyway!
Old 01-20-2014, 11:32 AM

aggie182 will become famous soon enoughaggie182 will become famous soon enough

I made it out to the small pond and worked my way around in the kayak. I stood and paddled quite a bit but had a hard time putting the paddle down and picking up the fly rod before passing my target. I saw a few gar but they were holding low in the water and by the time I spotted them, it was too late and I would get the puff of mud as they went on their way flipping me the fin. The sun was pretty low too so that didn't help. I talked to a buddy and he mentioned setting up a drift with the fly rod in hand is the way to go. I may rig a belt with a paddle clip to make the transition from paddling to casting while standing smoother and easier when I need to go that route. Paddling standing up in the kayak isn't hard, casting standing up isn't hard but transitioning between the 2 is, especially wearing waders when you are short and fat like me. I am looking forward to going back when the weather warms up and I can get there in the middle of the sunny day. Little to no wind would be nice too but I won't be too picky. Thanks again for the advice on the flies.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:47 PM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

I may be late to the party and I have never personally cast to a gar but one of the fellas on another forum that lives in Lusiana fishes them and he uses a size 10 fly he calls a squirreley. Beadchain eyes tied so fly rides hook up. Squirrel tail tied at head to cover hook point and the ends cut off square. The fly don't look like much but he swears by it for other species as well. He says the small hook will penetrate the bony mouth. I have tied a few just waiting the chance at a gar.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:16 PM

Yeah we tie a similar fly for carp around here and the gar will eat em too. As long is its kinda fish or animal lookin, they seem to eat them.

Storm Drain Bonefisher