The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 10:17 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Smallmouth Bass line

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
Damn really? Everyone says they're brittle but they love the rod for the $. My buddy has one and I thought about getting one. I have the PRO II in 5-weight and 8-weight, but the BVK is faster.

Sorry for the hijack --

Yep.

Had one. Well technically I had 3. Broke all of them. Some of it my fault but I fish every other rod just as hard and have not broken them. They are a great casting rod but unbelievably fragile.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:20 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
Yep.

Had one. Well technically I had 3. Broke all of them. Some of it my fault but I fish every other rod just as hard and have not broken them. They are a great casting rod but unbelievably fragile.
Shucks -- I like my PRO II rods and wanted a fast action 8-weight.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:22 AM

labradorguy has a spectacular aura aboutlabradorguy has a spectacular aura aboutlabradorguy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Damn really? Everyone says they're brittle but they love the rod for the $. My buddy has one and I thought about getting one. I have the PRO II in 5-weight and 8-weight, but the BVK is faster.

Sorry for the hijack --
Yep. The first one snapped and we both stopped fishing and just sat and stared with these WTH expressions.... We could not figure out why either snapped. They were both relatively new rods, so there wasn't prior damage from impacts and such. I guess they were pulled against weight just right and POP. ?? They both fish St. Croix rods now....

The price is great on the BVK, but if they do that a lot, you're not really gaining much in the end. Case in point, my Loomis 8wt. caught an 8 foot sand shark and was bent over double before it was all said and done....
Old 02-04-2014, 10:24 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Shucks -- I like my PRO II rods and wanted a fast action 8-weight.
Have you wiggled a St Croix Imperial? They are fast action rods and made in the states... $220~
Old 02-04-2014, 10:33 AM

nir will become famous soon enoughnir will become famous soon enough

Smallmouth bass fishing is my number one fishing around here.

My main set-up is a TFO BVK 6 weight with a Rio Grand 6 wt line. The half weight over that the Rio Grand has loads my rod perfectly. The BVK works like a charm and throws some pretty big poppers and streamers. I've had no trouble with the rod yet. Really fun rod to cast!

I also just bought an Allen Xa2 8wt that will probably work better on really windy days.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:55 PM

jsxtreme has a spectacular aura aboutjsxtreme has a spectacular aura about

I use the Scentific Anglers Titan Taper for throwing big bugs for smallies. It's awesome.

Mastery Textured Series Titan Taper
Old 02-04-2014, 02:00 PM

markm will become famous soon enoughmarkm will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all the tips guys. You have me thinking know about the TFO BVK. What other 6 wt rods would you recommend for bass in the $200 dollar range?

Mark
Old 02-04-2014, 02:03 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I use the Sage Bass series rods for my warmwater black bass adventures. I have the 290grn bass taper on the smallmouth rod ( its an absolute canon of a rod ) and I have the Rio Outbound Short 6wt on the bluegill seried rod. They both handle them well.

I will also echo the St Croix Imperial series, nice sticks, made in the US and good action to them.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-04-2014, 02:18 PM

labradorguy has a spectacular aura aboutlabradorguy has a spectacular aura aboutlabradorguy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm View Post
Thanks for all the tips guys. You have me thinking know about the TFO BVK. What other 6 wt rods would you recommend for bass in the $200 dollar range?

Mark
Both of my friends got rid of the BVKs and went to St. Croix Imperials. No problems since.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:50 PM

boyscout is on a distinguished road

I was going to recommend the SA Bass bug taper (Mastery?) which I have used for 15 to 20 years. I think I'm on my fourth one now. However, I just looked on SA website and my favorite line is no more! Guess I'll be trying a RIO or SA Titan taper. Good thing I found this post loaded with good advice on bass lines!

Since you already have the 5 wt, you might want to consider an 8wt to be able to branch out to salt, musky, stripers, etc. if you want to later. For years my bass rod was a fast 5 wt overlined with a 6wt and it was fine till I started throwing bigger flies and doing some salt work. I also found that I now prefer the 8wt for most smallie and LM fishing. Why? Wind and big flies just aren't an issue if I do my cast right and let the line load the rod. There is also the issue of stopping a nice fish from getting in the weeds, rocks, or logs.

I've been using a TFO Pro (not BVK) for the past year or 2 and really like it. There are faster rods but for the money, they are hard to beat. I have casted a BVK and it is a cannon and surprisingly light. However, I don't have the casting skill to really need it.

Still, if I know I'm going to throw small flies for smaller fish, my 25+ year old Sage RPL is just a joy to cast!

I once tried the "chop a few feet off" method on a regular cheap WF in the middle of a 7 mile float. I was having a hard time getting the fly out on the short casts many times needed floating a rocky river so I cut the line and it made a big difference. That was one hard decision!

Good luck with your line choice!