The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2014, 01:39 PM

colin272 is on a distinguished road
Default white bass

Hey guys looking for some advise for trying to catch White bass in a lake setting. I know that they tend to have "runs" in the rivers but Im looking for some advise on where to locate them in a lake, or how other guys go about targeting white bass when they fish for them on lakes. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:44 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: white bass

You need to hit up springfield lake. theres a bunch of them in there, theres also a little power plant lake over there that stays warm all year and has a bunch in it. It'll be searching with a sinking line or some heavy clousers in grey and white or deceivers in the same color. Once its ice off they will make a spawning run in the channels and you should be able to find em then.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-07-2014, 01:54 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

I never tried fly fishing for them BUT I have fished for them in big lakes, mostly Kentucky Lake in the summer. The whites school up on the edge of the channel that runs through the lake. You can catch a slew of them fishing the line where the water starts going deep.

It would sure be a lot of fun to hit them with a fly rod.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:18 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Big whipers are the best!!!

Click the image to open in full size.

The little guys are fun too, they all fight like a mad dog though!
colin272, mridenour and hailfly like this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-07-2014, 02:23 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Haha, I've had three like that on at one time on a fairly light spinning reel and they all just go straight down. It ain't fly fishing but it is a fun time. We'd troll three chartreuse grubs above a deep diving Bomber right along the edge. Everyone's rod bends down at one time.

I'm going to have to try fly fishing for them.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:59 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
Big whipers are the best!!!
Did you ever notice that when somebody mentions "whipers" here an ad for Charmin toilet tissue shows up in the sidebar ?
mridenour and kingofamberley like this.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:20 PM

colin272 is on a distinguished road

thanks guys, I have a few power plant lakes by me and that's what got me interested. My problems is I am not sure as to where to start searching for them. I have read to look for train tussles and bridges for when they are running, but I am hoping to get out and try it soon so I doubt that they will be running. Has any one fished Coffeen Lake in IL or lake Shelbyville for white bass? I appreciate all the help already.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:43 PM

boyscout is on a distinguished road

Nice fish Geoff!

I'm not much of a big lake fisherman but I used to work with a guy that took me to some of his honey holes on a large lake to catch LM, stripes, whites, etc. in hot summer heat late morning. We are bank fishing...no boat. I'm thinking no way, fish will be deep and feed at night. What I found out was that they build bridges usually where there was a constriction where the opposite banks were closest together. He would monitor the dam release schedule and it didn't matter if it was 1pm, sunny, and 95 degrees, when that water started moving due to a release, the bait fish would move with it and concentrate near bridges and the feeding would begin cause those predator fish would be hanging out waiting.

Just like inshore saltwater, when the tide moves the eating begins.

Anyway, hope that tip helps. It sure opened my eyes. Never thought I would be catching LM and stripes on top water in summer in the middle of the day. We also picked up whites and other species.

Good luck!

Quote:
Did you ever notice that when somebody mentions "whipers" here an ad for Charmin toilet tissue shows up in the sidebar ?
Riptide, that was funny!
kingofamberley likes this.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
No but I do appreciate a good poop joke :P

I think Coffeen was the lake the guys I talked to about it were referring too. I keep meaning to stop by and ask them about it but I feel bad disturbing them from business ( it was the guys who did the spray in bedliner on my truck )

That hybrid I caught was out of a dink gross creek. I have caught them in there before, but nothing bigger then 8" or so. That one went almost 24. put up a heck of a fight.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-07-2014, 07:08 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Drop offs and submerged islands are the places to look if you can't find current. Chartreuse & White, Chartreuse & Black and Fluorescent Red are all good colors for sand bass.

Dave