The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 04:43 PM

stillwading will become famous soon enoughstillwading will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Warm water tippet options...

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthor View Post
Well with the upcoming warm water season I'll hopefully be chasing some Smallmouth and Pike in local waterways. I've got everything figured out down to the tippet. I'm figuring a spool of 8, 10, or 12lb Florocarbon will suffice, and I can get a large spool of quality line for around $20. What are you guys using as it seems since I last used Floro many options and varieties have popped up.

Now to wait for all of the craptacular record lows to move out and get a nice slow thaw.
No kidding on the record lows. this is beyond ridiculous.

I had some Vanish fluro left over from my gear days, that worked well enough so I bought a few more spools, I have 6, 10, 20lb. Pretty much use the 10lb unless I'm goin for bluegills off the dock up north.

I catch a decent amount of bowfin and haven't had too many biteoffs on the fluro tippets I've used. Really the biggest problem I've had with biteoffs on fluro is with the smaller hammerhandle pikes.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:56 PM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcalla View Post
I got sick of buying expensive tapered mono leaders, so now I just tie my own. I use the cheap mono you can buy at Wally World on the big spools. The cheap stuff isn't as supple as the pricey stuff, and helps turn over the bass bugs I throw. I usually start with 25 lb. and taper down to 10 or 6 lb.
This. Works fine. My spools say Shakespeare omniflex.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:29 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

When toothy critters are involved, IMO a bit of luck enters the equation. I've seen musky landed on UL gear and 4-6# mono. I've had small pike bite off heavy mono. I will have some wire leaders on the end of my tippets this year, but not when I am targeting smallies and such. I'm convinced it lowers your odds of a bite on many warmwater species. Pike however might hit a tippet made of bicycle chain when they are on a feed.

How about you buy some good plastic in a couple sizes and I buy some knot2kinky wire and we make up a nice leader/tippet selection for all occasions?
biggie_robs and craigthor like this.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:24 PM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

I use home made furled mono leaders on my light warm water rigs which is the majority of my fishing. For bass I use a butt section of regular mono about 4' and a tippet about 3' of what ever I think I can get by with. 8# to 15#. I never go over 20# tippet. I mostly use leader/tippets that approach rod length but sometimes I go longer and sometimes shorter. Sometimes to get larger bass bugs to turn over I will shorten the leader to a straight length of mono as short as 4'. It all depends on the situation and conditions.
craigthor likes this.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:51 PM

gr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura aboutgr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura about

On any warm water fly over size 4, I just use 1 length of P-line CXX or Yo-Zuri Hybrid. IMO big flies don't need a tapered leader.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:57 PM

bks is on a distinguished road

bumping this back up to top.

If you buy the spools of mono to make your own leaders, how long will it last? I mean if you keep the spools inside, controlled environment I guess they would not break down for a while?

I know there is a formula for the line sizes but any tips would be appreciated.

Majority of my fishing is with a 3wt or 4wt for bream and small bass. I mainly fish bully spiders under a strike indicator or small foam terrestrials.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:29 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Bream and bass aren't too leader shy... I'd build a simple leader formula as such... 3' 25# maxima chameleon... 1' 12# Maxima chameleon... 3' of 0x tippet(I use 10# trilene)... Tippet ring... Then 6-12" of 2-6# tippet... With a tippet ring the leader will last for quite some time... The 1' section makes for a good place to set an indicator
rickf and bks like this.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:15 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
I am a big fan of the P-line CXX lines. They are a mono/floro hybrid that is super thin, but very strong and easy to tie knots in. I use it to build all my leaders, from 15 to 2lbs. Sometimes when fishing in water with big fish potential, I will just run a 8-10' piece of all 15lb from fly line to leader.
Up until I changed to Orvis Mirage, P-line CX-Preminum was go to line. Strong and unbreakable.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:34 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by bks View Post
bumping this back up to top.

If you buy the spools of mono to make your own leaders, how long will it last? I mean if you keep the spools inside, controlled environment I guess they would not break down for a while?....
In my experience quality mono will last a long time as long as it protected from UV. I've used 10 year old Berkeley mono without issue. Not something I would recommend as a good practice of course.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:03 AM

rickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
Bream and bass aren't too leader shy... .. Tippet ring... Then 6-12" of 2-6# tippet... With a tippet ring the leader will last for quite some time...
itch,

You nailed it! with a tippet ring, any leader will last a very long time!

For tippet, I like Frog Hair Flouro the best. Sure, a couple bucks more, but the 25 M spool will last all year. I take my Bluegill fishing very serious! LOL sure, a thick tippet will do, but I just like how the thin diameter Frog Hair lets the fly move in the water?