The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 11:24 AM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold
Default Warm water tippet options...

Well with the upcoming warm water season I'll hopefully be chasing some Smallmouth and Pike in local waterways. I've got everything figured out down to the tippet. I'm figuring a spool of 8, 10, or 12lb Florocarbon will suffice, and I can get a large spool of quality line for around $20. What are you guys using as it seems since I last used Floro many options and varieties have popped up.

Now to wait for all of the craptacular record lows to move out and get a nice slow thaw.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:01 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Warm water tippet options...

Warm water fish are not leader shy
No real reason to use floro unless you just enjoy paying extra
kingofamberley likes this.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:02 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I am a big fan of the P-line CXX lines. They are a mono/floro hybrid that is super thin, but very strong and easy to tie knots in. I use it to build all my leaders, from 15 to 2lbs. Sometimes when fishing in water with big fish potential, I will just run a 8-10' piece of all 15lb from fly line to leader.
runningfish and craigthor like this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-11-2014, 12:15 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

i just buy a 4 pack of 9 foot long panfish/bass leaders in different sizes (6, 8, 10lb) from cabelas and add on a couple feet of the appropriate tippet and go fishing

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 02-11-2014, 12:26 PM

jsxtreme has a spectacular aura aboutjsxtreme has a spectacular aura about

I use either scientific angler fresh water tippet in 2x or Rio Flurofelx plus in 2x for small mouth and pike.

For years I used spiderwire or berkley 10 lb test mono as a leader/tippet and that always worked well too.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:38 PM

pjcalla is on a distinguished road

I got sick of buying expensive tapered mono leaders, so now I just tie my own. I use the cheap mono you can buy at Wally World on the big spools. The cheap stuff isn't as supple as the pricey stuff, and helps turn over the bass bugs I throw. I usually start with 25 lb. and taper down to 10 or 6 lb. I'm going to pick up some 40 for a butt section this year and give it a go. I figure I spend about $0.30 per leader (if that), which sounds much better than $4. YMMV.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:07 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

I use 12 and 15lb Pline flouro or similar 99% of the time. If bite offs from pike become an issue, I'll switch up to wire bite guards.
ia_trouter and craigthor like this.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:44 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys, I'm going to be using furled leaders in a few varieties so looks like PLine is as good as it used to be I will grab a spool next time I'm out.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:46 PM

markg52 will become famous soon enough

Pline or Seaguar for me.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:33 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Odd man out... I like Vanish

What are you going to be tossing? I like furled leaders but... Find them useless with 90% of my warmwater fishing... Buy a spool of stiff mono line maxima or fluoro like vicious pro elite... And build simple leaders... You'll not be happy with what happens when you torque on a furled leader to break off and end up with a rat's nest instead of a leader. 40# maxima will turn over a lot of flies including poppers
christianfishn likes this.