The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2014, 02:10 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about
Default Sight fishing top water Grass Carp

The grass carp were active this morning on a quick after church trip. They were digging in the shallows but as always skittish as they come. You could see their tails, swirls and mud plumes everywhere.

They wouldn't pick up any of my wooly bugger, crawfish, nymph patterns. So I tied on a chartreuse hopper pattern.

This was the magic, hooked and lost 2 brutes, finally landed this beauty. They so softly suck the hopper in. You gotta strike quick as they spit it out really fast or you only get a very light lip hook that won't hold.

They hate to have a leader or fly line float over them. Thus presentation is so important.

This guy measured 28" and was quite tussle before finally landing him on my $40 refurbished Orvis 6wt graphite, 6wt GPX, Pflueger 1495 w/Pfoot drag disc.

Pete A.

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:44 PM

horsehead will become famous soon enoughhorsehead will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sight fishing top water Grass Carp

Very nice! I can only wish I'll get 3 hook ups my next time out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:13 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

I have tried on numerous occasions to hook a grass carp. I can catch normal carp all day long but the almighty grass carp eludes me. There is a pond down the road from me that has tons of them in the small submarine size range, absolute monsters. Ive tried everything short of shooting them with a bow and can't get them to take anything. I dont know what I'd do if I hooked one...I'm betting that they are pushing well over 30lbs.

Congrats on the nice fish!

Chase
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:50 PM

thenextlevel is on a distinguished road

I've had small amounts of success with size 12 beadhead nymphs. I have a pond in my neighborhood that is full of them. I am still trying to figure out the secret

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:05 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by chased View Post
I dont know what I'd do if I hooked one...I'm betting that they are pushing well over 30lbs.
Wait til you stick a piece of steel into one that's almost 50 lbs!!!! Its mind blowing the amount of power they have.
mcnerney and mridenour like this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-24-2014, 10:03 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete a View Post
This was the magic, hooked and lost 2 brutes, finally landed this beauty. They so softly suck the hopper in. You gotta strike quick as they spit it out really fast or you only get a very light lip hook that won't hold.

They hate to have a leader or fly line float over them. Thus presentation is so important.
Pete: That in my opinion is the essence of mastering fly fishing in difficult situations, it is all about "presentation", not about buying the most expensive fly rod on the rack. Congrats!

I've yet to hook into a Grass Carp, but it is still on my list!

Larry

Old 02-24-2014, 10:45 AM

manicfishng will become famous soon enoughmanicfishng will become famous soon enough

Very cool!

Gregg
Old 02-24-2014, 11:42 AM

aggie182 will become famous soon enoughaggie182 will become famous soon enough

Awesome. I am jealous.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:43 AM

rjsac09 is on a distinguished road

That is awesome! I just picked up a nice Sage 8100 that I was hoping to use for some carp fishing sometime. Seems as a lot of guys say you need an expensive reel to stick on it, but I may just look for something affordable and maybe even used. I am sure it will get banged around a little in the spots I am hoping to fish it!
Old 02-24-2014, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats...I know those fish are not easy to catch...