The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First carp of 2014 for me

Congrats!!!!John you're our carpmaster....Joni is our carpmistress
Old 03-09-2014, 09:47 PM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

Travis and I got after them again today...we pounded the fish!

Click the image to open in full size.

Nothing big, but we can't complain about the numbers we are getting this early. The big fish just haven't come in yet...a few more weeks!

Joni, rickf, twfitw and 3 others like this.

Carp on the Fly
Old 03-10-2014, 12:39 AM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

John,

Wonderful pix! The Susquehanna and local lakes are still frozen here in PA, but I have been smackin' the trout pretty good in the C&R (lime stoners) streams (I can't complain, trout are also a pretty brown fish)

Another month, and I'm all set to go with my 8wt. Carp on a Fly are on my agenda this year.

Thanks again, for all those wonderful pix. It gives us "cabin fevers" so much hope for this upcoming year.

Here ya go, John. These guys like 10wts?

Old 03-10-2014, 07:46 AM

hailfly has a spectacular aura abouthailfly has a spectacular aura about

Good job, I'm still looking for my first carp on a fly rod. This year is the year.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:29 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
John,

Sight Fishing for Carp! - YouTube

Maybe because that is what the gave them to use.....LOL Those are 6 wt carp LOL (Kidding)
That would be a blast to be able to get right in the water with them.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:33 AM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

I have fished lake mi 4 times, but never beaver island. It is really different than my home waters. The fish eat gobies and act more like smallmouth bass, they often chase and just crush big 2-3 inch long bunny leeches. It is pretty cool. They get big out there from all of that protein. Last year my buddy Wendy and I caught about 135 carp in 4 days, with the top 20 fish all weighing more than 20 lbs. crazy. This one scaled out at 28 and took a two inch long rust colored bunny leech:

One of these years I will get out there to beaver island. Neat looking place. We still fish 7 and 8 weights when we go out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
John,

Wonderful pix! The Susquehanna and local lakes are still frozen here in PA, but I have been smackin' the trout pretty good in the C&R (lime stoners) streams (I can't complain, trout are also a pretty brown fish)

Another month, and I'm all set to go with my 8wt. Carp on a Fly are on my agenda this year.

Thanks again, for all those wonderful pix. It gives us "cabin fevers" so much hope for this upcoming year.

Sight Fishing for Carp! - YouTube
Joni and rickf like this.

Carp on the Fly
Old 03-10-2014, 07:25 PM

joshw is on a distinguished road

Are partial mirror carp common on your system? It seems like most mirror's partial mirror carp don't get as large as full scale common carp.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:58 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure what a partial Mirror is. But, I am curious about size difference. The biggest Carp I have caught was a Common, but I had a Nice Sized Mirror. Look forward to the answer.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:40 PM

joshw is on a distinguished road

Partial mirror carp are what is pictured in this thread with the few big scales. Smooth carp with out the few "Mirror" sclaes would be full leather carp. A true full mirror would be entirely or almost entirely covered with the large mirror carp scales.

Last edited by joshw; 03-11-2014 at 06:58 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:50 PM

There are really only three variants when it comes to scale patterns. Fully scaled, mirrors, and leathers. Occasionally you will get a fully scaled fish that has some strange scale patterns, we call those muddlers, but it is usually just a patch of scales near the tail that overlap or are slightly different sized. For the most part, the common fully scaled fish are the most prevalent. Mirrors are any combination of scales and no scales...most have scales down the back and some on the body, but each fish is unique and often each side is of the fish is different. From what I have read, we have 0 leather carp in the United States (a leather being a carp with no scales). I also understand mirrors (and leathers) to be a recessive trait. On my home water maybe 1/50 or 75 fish is a mirror, but I know places in ID that have populations of 100% mirror carp. I believe England ONLY has leather carp.

As for size, I don't think the scale patterns has much to do with it. It is mostly about forage, length of life etc. the biggest mirror I have ever caught was in ID, at 24 lbs:

My biggest common weighed 32 lbs, but I really think that is because I have more commons than mirrors around. A few other cool mirrors:

I would rather catch a 7 lb mirror than a 20 lb common. I think they are really cool looking fish.
Joni and twfitw like this.

Carp on the Fly