The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2014, 07:18 AM

twfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: First carp of 2014 for me

Those are some fine looking specimens John! Good explanation or the three types of carp, there tends to be a lot of confusion around them. Now a question that has been bugging me about mirrors, where do they come from? Are they the mutated prodigy of the commons? Here in Saskatchewan we have only had commons up until last year when fisheries biologists found one in a test netting survey. Another biologist friend of mine also later spotted one in an area where he was fishing last July... No one here appeared to have the answer.

They are definitely less common than the common and their populations do tend to vary, but where do they come from in the first place? I am assuming they will also reproduce with commons, so what happens then? Different levels of scaling? I have caught many mirrors in my life, but this question has only started bugging me recently.

Nick
Old 03-11-2014, 08:33 AM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

to the best of my knowledge nick, it is a recessive gene, sort of like blue eyes. So essentially, you need the milt from a mirror to match up with the eggs from a mirror to produce another mirror. They do spawn with commons, but you end up with a common.

take that with a grain of salt though...i'm a fisherman, not a biologist and it has been quite some time since i read up on all of that stuff!

Carp on the Fly
Old 03-11-2014, 10:46 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I've never even seen a mirror in the flesh, i'd poop my britches if I landed one.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-11-2014, 10:42 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Those are 6 wt carp LOL (Kidding)
Joni,

6wts are still too heavy for a real pro ....... here is a pic of a carp I caught on a 3wt! with a 5X and a size 14 BH nymph.

Click the image to open in full size.
Joni likes this.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:25 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, been there and done that. But, was fishing for trout. No picture but actually one of the biggest carps I have caught. Starvation.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:49 AM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

I played with an Orvis Suoerfine glass 5 wt today...pretty fun on these small pond carp! They really bent that rod over and it was near impossible to turn a hot fish. I am not going to rush to use the 5 on my big river flats, but such a fun Rod to cast! It was a blast today.

We had a few targets come out to play in the sun.

twfitw likes this.

Carp on the Fly
Old 03-23-2014, 07:01 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

The hybrid strikes again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2014, 08:38 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Did my first carp stalking of the year last weekend. The big guys were out cruising, but none seemed to be interested in eating, just a lot of chasing each other around doing their spawn thing...
Looking forward to warmer days

PS first carp ever was a mirror, have not landed another since!
Old 03-23-2014, 08:47 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

That is awesome with a Glass rod. I tried my Glass Cabela's last year and it is different. The second catch on it turned into a double as I fish 2 flies. WOW! I landed a 28" and th bigger broke off. Don't use glass anymore...LOL
Old 03-31-2014, 11:21 AM

This was a little bigger than I had planned on chasing with that glass 5 wt...22 lbs.

Little CFO reel as well. I love that glass rod but now that the big girls are showing up I may have to bust out the 7 wt.
Joni likes this.

Carp on the Fly