The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2014, 09:10 PM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough
Default First carp of 2014 for me

It has been a long, cold winter! We finally got a day of sun, and despite the water likely being way too cold, I checked out an area that usually gets the first couple of carp of the season to show. I pulled up, walked down to take a peak and saw this:

Click the image to open in full size.

Game on. This was just a small part of what I could see, there were carp everywhere in the shallows. Near as I could figure the one blast of sun we had sent the fish to the soft bottom to soak up some rays. Works for me. I geared up and got after them and absolutely slaughtered fish. All I had to do was get a hybrid within 2-3 inches of a carp and they would eat. Normally when they are grouped up you catch a few and they spook the rest, but the water temps were still so cold that the fish just came in like logs. I would sneak into position, make the cast, watch a SLOW dip and eat and then set the hook. The fish would roll up, and I would tow it to me and unhook it. No runs, just a simple tow and unhook. The good part was that very few fish spooked so I caught a load of them, but only had a couple take any fly line at all. Still...a great start to the season!

Carp on the Fly
Old 02-24-2014, 09:27 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: First carp of 2014 for me

Very nice! Everything here still has some ice moving about on it, and now more snow in the forecast.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-24-2014, 09:38 PM

kicker19 has a spectacular aura aboutkicker19 has a spectacular aura aboutkicker19 has a spectacular aura about

beautiful, strong work !! glad to see the tempts worked out. i spent about 20 hours over a few days in a kayak searching a lake for carp without any luck, did however find some great spots for when it gets warmer.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:58 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dang John, you know what this means after a day like that.......the rest of the year is going to be all down hill!

Congrats on an awesome day on the water.

Larry

Old 02-25-2014, 12:02 AM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

John,

Wonderful pix! That really gets me motivated for some carp on a fly.

PS - Please don't tell Joni where that is ...... or she will kill all the carp with her bow and toss them on the bank! I've read where carp have a long life span (maybe 50 years?), even though they are very hardy? She could wipe out that population in a couple days?

LOL ! just kidding, Joni !
Old 02-25-2014, 06:50 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

OMG! I would kill to see them like that! It would definitely make it eas......ier :-) (not saying it is easy)

I have been blind fishing for them all winter . Some smaller, but the fight is insane.

Mine are still off the Rainy's Popcorn ball.
jpbfly, twfitw and dakotakid like this.

Last edited by Joni; 02-25-2014 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:50 AM
mridenour

That looks like a LOT of fun!
Old 02-25-2014, 09:06 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

And... Now, I have no excuses and need to get out on the water. Missouri river, here I come. John, I would like to come fish your waters at some point!
Old 02-25-2014, 11:11 AM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

Seeing the fish is crucial out here. In ten years of chasing them on the big C I have only "felt" 3 takes. You just aren't going to catch them blind because they won't chase a fly. You have to spot the fish and get the fly within about 4-8 in inches and then see the eat. Thankfully, the water is pretty clear and I get a lot of targets. Usually the early spring fish are as easy as they get, once they spread out onto the gravel bars they are a lot tougher. Pretty cool fishery.

Carp on the Fly
Old 02-25-2014, 01:29 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by john montana View Post
Seeing the fish is crucial out here. In ten years of chasing them on the big C I have only "felt" 3 takes. You just aren't going to catch them blind because they won't chase a fly. You have to spot the fish and get the fly within about 4-8 in inches and then see the eat. Thankfully, the water is pretty clear and I get a lot of targets. Usually the early spring fish are as easy as they get, once they spread out onto the gravel bars they are a lot tougher. Pretty cool fishery.
I would like to try. :-) Might not chase, but they will take a fly.