The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2014, 02:06 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Addiction Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
Congrats Joniyou're our resident carrpmistress

Carpmistress...I like that, much better than what I have been calling myself...LOL

It is in the 50's this morning but dropping with an on coming storm. I am fishing rivers, our ponds and stillwaters are still ice capped, but edges are opening.
Caught six this morning smallest 27". They took the popcorn ball. I used a T3 6 wt. and Sharkskin Magnum line
Click the image to open in full size.
rickf and cowger10 like this.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:09 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough
Default The Addiction Continues

This means that I'd better get out tomorrow, before the winter storm hits...

That sharkskin magnum is a phenomenal line. Doesn't hold up to jagged rocks well, but what line does? I used it last year on one of the floats on my local river for carp.

Tomorrow's forecast looks promising (heavy sarcasm in that statement).

http://www.weather.com/weather/tomor...+MO+64506:4:US

Last edited by delopez; 02-28-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:09 AM

rjsac09 is on a distinguished road

That sure looks like a blast. Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-06-2014, 12:07 PM

cowger10 will become famous soon enoughcowger10 will become famous soon enough

That looks like a ton of fun. Sure makes me want to get out and fish.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:34 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

It is! Yesterday they peeled line like crazy! I a using circle hooks so light hookups

rickf and lv2nymph like this.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:20 AM

oz angler will become famous soon enoughoz angler will become famous soon enough

Lovely looking fish. It surprises me that the carp will feed well enough in the cold, snow conditions.Over here in OZ, most freshwater fish seem to close up shop during the colder months. Maybe you just try harder! I'm new to fly fishing for carp as I usually fly fish for trout in my local lakes and streams. I've had a few carp fly sessions including this afternoon but no joy so far. I see plenty of fish but just cant get them to take a fly. I'll try the Thingamebobber with a largish nymph next time . Do you have any other suggestions that you think might work?
Cheers,
Steve.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:26 AM

twfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz angler View Post
I've had a few carp fly sessions including this afternoon but no joy so far. I see plenty of fish but just cant get them to take a fly.
Hey oz angler

I'll answer, despite being South African and the recent cricket results... If you are seeing a lot of carp then look for the actively feeding ones. Cruising carp will rarely stop and take a fly. Look for silt clouds, tails up and the lone carp that is hanging in one area... Carp are a humbling fish and your presentation needs to be perfect, but seeking out and focusing on the feeding fish will up your odds...

Nick
Joni likes this.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:13 PM

oz angler will become famous soon enoughoz angler will become famous soon enough

twfitw,

Sorry about the cricket results but we can still be friends cant we? Thanks for the advice and I have to agree that carp are a humbling fish. Trout can be so much more cooperative!
Many of the carp I saw yesterday were in groups and swirling and splashing in the shallows--I thought they were maybe only interested in making baby carps. A few were feeding around the weed beds and making the stalks move and shudder. These fellows weren't interested in my flies although maybe they just couldn't see them as the water is like milky coffee. I'll keep trying.
Cheers,
Steve.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:27 PM

When they are rustling in the grass, I will throw a bugger on a Type II and strip it with pauses.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:09 PM

Thanks Joni,
I'll give that a try next time I go out.
Cheers,
Steve.