The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2014, 07:28 AM

twfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: The Addiction Continues

In that situation I will sometimes suspend a balanced leech or similar under an indicator to avoid it getting hung up in shallow snags. Sometimes only 12" or so and wind drift or creep it into the zone...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2014, 01:52 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie O'Neill View Post
Great looking fish and a nice report. I targeted Carp in the U.K. but only on lakes. They can be great top of the water action when they are basking in the sun. I used a "dog biscuit" fly. Not sure if you guys are familiar with it, basically spun deer hair. Worked extremely well.
Floating Dog Biscuit fly pattern FlyDay 17 with Hywel Morgan - YouTube

I did my variation to this "dog Biscuit" and I A HOOKED! What a great top fly. I did one in white and one in Yellow.
Click the image to open in full size.

Thanks for the video and the fly
mcnerney, rickf and twfitw like this.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:06 AM

oz angler will become famous soon enoughoz angler will become famous soon enough

A warmish day, so I had another carp session. There were carp feeding on the bottom as well as on the surface, no mistaking those big orange/yellow lips as they slurped in floating items. I alternated between floating booby flies and various coloured wooley buggers. The water was so muddy that I think the carp may not be able to see much unless it lands right on it's head, which doesn't sound a great idea. No luck today. I'll keep trying. Trout seem to be so much easier to catch!
Cheers,
Steve.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:26 AM

lv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nice

Dang girl, you're hooking some big scales there. Way to go! I'm thinking a screen name change is in order.
Carpmistress, has a nice ring to it.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:39 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz angler View Post
A warmish day, so I had another carp session. There were carp feeding on the bottom as well as on the surface, no mistaking those big orange/yellow lips as they slurped in floating items. I alternated between floating booby flies and various coloured wooley buggers. The water was so muddy that I think the carp may not be able to see much unless it lands right on it's head, which doesn't sound a great idea. No luck today. I'll keep trying. Trout seem to be so much easier to catch!
Cheers,
Steve.
Water is very off colored still here as well, Try a Dog Biscuit Fly and a small dropper like a glow bug or SJW. I have caught 3 off the dog biscuit this week. They are top feeding on leaves and bugs.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:37 PM

Break in the weather, but cold.
okbow68, mcnerney, rickf and 2 others like this.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:03 PM

lv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nice

That's a bruiser, nice going.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:28 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Wow!! That is a really nice one!!
Old 04-04-2014, 07:34 PM

Thank you! There were three today. I was only there for an hour. Three hits on the dog biscuit but no hook-up. Laying them by the rod doesn't do them justice. The one next to the rod was 30".
Old 04-04-2014, 08:42 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, awesome Carp, I'm jealous!

Larry