The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 10:24 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: hooks for largemouth

I like Allen's b200s... I've been lucky enough to not encounter the issues Ted and some other folks I know have had with their hooks... I'd probably use something more stout if I was targeting 40"+ pike and musky... But those chances are limited for me... They've landed me a couple pike in the 30" range though and countless bass of all varieties
Old 03-02-2014, 11:00 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
If you are breaking or straightening them out in use on bass then somebody is catching fish that are entirely too big. Sounds like I need to come up and bass fish with you Ted.

Seriously, I wouldn't use them for musky or big pike, but I have caught a bazillion decent bass and I don't see an issue on the typical 2-5# bass most people are chasing.

I'm breaking these things with 140 denier thread. Seriously. How can I trust a hook that I can snap with weak thread to hold up to a 3 or 4lb smallmouth in current? I wouldn't be entirely surprised if I just got a weak batch but I can't know for sure since my email to Allen went unanswered.

Those worm hooks are great little hooks too. You can score some pretty good deals on them too, especially if you buy in bulk. The other nice thing about them is that they're readily available in just about any store that sells fishing gear.

Maybe a bit off topic with this, but the newest hook I've been playing with is the Gamakatsu double hooks for some weedless hook up frog poppers. I saw an insanely sweet frog pattern tied on them by Nick Granato, and ever since, I've been scribbling down ideas on a piece of paper.

Click the image to open in full size.

This is the "Toadally Amphibious" fly of Nick Granatos
Click the image to open in full size.
ia_trouter and craigthor like this.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:46 AM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Ted

I need to tie that frog popper very soon. Very odd you could breaking the hooks with Allen 140 denier thread. I think I will load test a couple today in the garage vise and see what it takes to break one. I think the hooks I have are going to bend rather than break.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:04 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I think he had to have gotten bad hooks. I have the B200 in a few sizes. Some of my observations about them included they run HUGE. A size 4 B200 is bigger then a size 1 B10S. The first batch I got a few of them had hook points that were bent down. I ordered some size 8 and 10s, they are much more the size I like to work with. I have been using them for double deceivers.

Even with all that being said, I do like the B10s much more, and the 100 packs aren't that bad of a price. But I will use up what I have and see how they do.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-03-2014, 12:52 PM

changler will become famous soon enoughchangler will become famous soon enough

The Gamakatsu B10S is my go-to warmwater hook for largemouth and smallmouth. TMC 8089 and the Dai-Riki # 810 are both nice hooks as well. The Mustad #3366 is a good, cheap, all-around warmwater hook, though they can use a bit of honing before use.
ted4887 likes this.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:33 PM

boyscout is on a distinguished road

If I'm tying time consuming flies like hair bugs, I pay they extra and go for Gamagatzu B210 like mentioned in a previous post. Those thing are sharp and extremely strong.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:29 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
Ted

I need to tie that frog popper very soon. Very odd you could breaking the hooks with Allen 140 denier thread. I think I will load test a couple today in the garage vise and see what it takes to break one. I think the hooks I have are going to bend rather than break.
They bend somewhat easily and work well for tying bend backs... Never had I had I fish bend one though.