The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 02:33 PM

ylf is on a distinguished road
Default hooks for largemouth

Hey, I'm gearing up for some large mouth bass this year. I want to tie some streamers/bait fish. What size/brand of hook would be good for this.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:48 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: hooks for largemouth

It depends on what you are tying, but I think Allen Flyfishing model B200 bass bug hooks are an excellent value and free shipping. They work for clousers, bass bugs, poppers etc. I have tied a bunch of buck tail pike/bass flies with them as well. I use a bunch in size 2 and 6 and am going to buy others sizes soon. I'm no expert on hook sizing for sure , but a size 2 Allen bass hook is about identical in size to a "normal" 1/0 hook.
itchmesir likes this.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:51 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

I really like Daichii Intruder hooks in a size 1, also Mustads in 6-2 with various shank lengths for clousers, leeches, etc.

And Trouter is right Allens size 2 Bass Bug Hook are the same size as my Daichii 1/0 hooks of the same style.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:36 PM

ylf is on a distinguished road

Thankyou. I just ordered the Allen b200 ones. 3.89 free shipping!what a deal. Looks like a nice wide gap for the bucket mouths,thanks again
Old 03-02-2014, 05:01 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

I dislike the Allen Bass bug hooks personally. I find them to be extraordinarily weak at the bend of the hook. At least the ones I received. I'd never tie anything on one that takes any more time than a Clouser, and even then, take a good look at the hook prior to tying on it.

I prefer a higher quality iron though. Gamakatsu B10s is hands down my favorite hook for bass bugs, clousers and other streamers. They also don't cost much more than the Allen hooks either.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:29 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted4887 View Post
I dislike the Allen Bass bug hooks personally. I find them to be extraordinarily weak at the bend of the hook. At least the ones I received. I'd never tie anything on one that takes any more time than a Clouser, and even then, take a good look at the hook prior to tying on it.

I prefer a higher quality iron though. Gamakatsu B10s is hands down my favorite hook for bass bugs, clousers and other streamers. They also don't cost much more than the Allen hooks either.
If you are breaking or straightening them out in use on bass then somebody is catching fish that are entirely too big. Sounds like I need to come up and bass fish with you Ted.

Seriously, I wouldn't use them for musky or big pike, but I have caught a bazillion decent bass and I don't see an issue on the typical 2-5# bass most people are chasing.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:34 PM

SkipS is on a distinguished road

I use a variety of hooks,mostly saltwater because I use the same flies for both FW and SW.The Mustad 34007/3407 are good as is the Eagle Claw 413 jig hook.Mustad 3306 is a good inexpensive hook and I also like the 36890 Salmon hook.As long as the hook is strong and long enough for the pattern it will work.I just don't get too hung up on specific brands or models.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:46 PM

bloomagoo will become famous soon enoughbloomagoo will become famous soon enough

As SkipS says, the Mustad 34007 or 3366 are reliable and can be purchased in bulk for short money. The 34007 are saltwater hooks so they cost a bit more but they allow me to tie streamers for both salt and freshwater use. Size 1 seems to be my goto size for LMB and stripers.

Last edited by bloomagoo; 03-03-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:54 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Tiemco TMC 8089
Old 03-02-2014, 10:13 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Depends on how much you're willing to spend & size you need. I also like the Allen hooks, but use others as well, but I tie a lot on hooks such as plastic worm hooks. I especially like the straight shank versions, but use others too. I tie bass flies frequently in the 2 to 3/0 size range for use with rod weights on 8 & heavier.

They can be expensive, but are generally quite strong & sharp. You do have to shop around & compare prices however. I buy them on sale when I can, and even pick up some from Ebay. I just got a 25 pack of offset worm hooks in size 1/0 along with some jigs hooks, all for about $5-$7 a pack, which is pretty much inline with prices for some of the better brand fly hooks.

The offset hooks work fine as popper hooks or as streamer hooks, particularly with such styles as Clouser Minnows where I want the hook inverted. They make a fine bass bug hook too.

I'll use "spinnerbait" hooks too and the various saltwater hooks also work fine for bass. I use some of them too because much of the fishing I do is in tidal waters.

I use Owner, Gamakatsu, Mustad Signatures, VMC, Daiichi and some Eagle Claw Lazer hooks, and would use the Trokars if I could get them at a better price.

Here's an few examples:
Approximately 7" overall, tied on a spinnerbait hooks. Clouser Minnow, 5/0 hook. (use these for Striped Bass too)
Click the image to open in full size.

Clouser tied on Daiichi worm hook, size 1.

Keys style Tarpon patterns that I use for LM bass. Tied on a Straight shank 2/0 worm hook.

This is a discontinued Owner hook. I bought a bunch of these in size 2 & 1.

Typical streamer tied on a saltwater hook.

Clouser tied on a 60 degree saltwater jig hook, another hook good for tying bass flies.

Buggers & a Clouser tied on worm hooks in size 1.

Clouser style, tied to imitate crayfish. The hook is a 2/0 size Matzuo Sickle bait holder. It has a straight shank. Strong & sharp.

Tied with worm & spinnerbait hooks.

More Buggers tied on size 1 worm hooks.

Baitfish patterns tied on a wide gap worm hook. VMC 6319 worm hook. 2/0 or 3/0

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

Last edited by bigjim5589; 03-02-2014 at 10:44 PM.