The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2014, 07:45 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Korean carp?

I did a bit of searching and found grass carp flies so I gave them a try and came up with a few color combinations. If you want a dozen PM me your APO and I can mail them off to you (I'm assuming I can mail marabou).

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:51 PM

oz angler will become famous soon enoughoz angler will become famous soon enough

williamhj--Some of those green grass carp flies look very similar to the green weed luderick flies that I mentioned a post or so back. I didn't tie them but bought them from an OZ fly shop. I think they are made from something called Ice Dubbing.

Cheers,
Steve.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:11 AM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

Suppose you could send us a close up pic of the stuff your carp are eating along with a size reference? If it is something I can duplicate or at least close I could also send you a few to see if they will work.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:04 PM

tangotracer is on a distinguished road

That's a good excuse to break out the old DSLR camera! Oo... Perhaps even the underwater camera! I'll see what I can do if I get a chance to hit the river again this week

You guys are great! Thanks a ton!
Old 03-19-2014, 06:21 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz angler View Post
williamhj--Some of those green grass carp flies look very similar to the green weed luderick flies that I mentioned a post or so back. I didn't tie them but bought them from an OZ fly shop. I think they are made from something called Ice Dubbing.

Cheers,
Steve.
I'll have to try some ice dubbing. I just used chenille and marabou. Been thinking of some other materials to play around with. I look forward to hearing how they fish in Korea.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:58 AM

I had a go at those carp again tonight... Using bushy streamers to imitate a variety of things and even a pile of junk I suppose! Also tried some white/green/brown floating misc flies

Nothing! Possibly a couple missed bites, but more likely tapping bottom Click the image to open in full size.

First time using my crosswater 8# and I love it! Casting 60' with ease and even poor hauling technique lol
Old 04-04-2014, 07:01 AM

oz angler will become famous soon enoughoz angler will become famous soon enough

Had another carp session today. Carp were feeding on the bottom as well as on the surface. I chucked a combination of booby flies, woolley buggers and weighted nymphs. They just laughed at me! Trout--easy! Well, not as hard. It's frustrating pitching flies in front of obviously feeding carp and having them totally ignore them. Maybe I need a vibrating fly in the muddy waters?
Cheers,
Steve.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:21 AM

Same thing here... Wish I could narrow it down to one thing preventing them from taking a fly! @,@

---------- Post added at 07:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 AM ----------

However!! Williamhj tied and sent me some custom flies recently.... And I actually got a take on one!

But... I was too revved up and snatched it right from it's mouth lol

Next time I'm hooking into a big one
williamhj likes this.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:57 AM

Look forward to hearing you landed one!
Old 04-05-2014, 10:46 AM

isaiah20 is on a distinguished road

Watch them closely you need to see the strike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk