Korean carp?

tangotracer

Reaction score
Hey all!-1st post on this forum!

I'm a soldier stationed in South Korea... And currently I've been hitting some carp rivers with my fly rod. However, I have had absolutely NO luck!

The carp completely ignore my fly and the only hope seems to be me casting the fly literally into their mouth - they act as if the fly nearly touching their face doesn't exist!

I've watched these carp.. And they rise readily and sip down the greenish algae substance released from a drain pipe into the river.. Is the trick just to use an "algae fly"?! Lol

Thanks for any advice!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum and thanks for your service to our country!

I know virtually nothing about Carp, I have only landed one and that was a Mirror Carp an incidental catch while I was fishing for trout, so I can't provide much help. There are a few members here that fish for Carp all the time, I would suggest sending a PM to Chased, John Montana and Joni. Also do a Google search for John's blog called "Carp on the Fly", he has a lot of information about fishing for Carp on that site.
Here is a post that John put up awhile back:
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/345347-first-carp-2014-me.html

Here is one of Joni's:
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/345498-addiction-continues.html

Larry

tangotracer

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I might have found a guy to help me chase down these carp right here on the forum... We will test our luck and hopefully hook into some big ones!

john montana

Reaction score
Rule #1, know your forage. Carp are masters of finding the most efficient way to get calories...so you need to figure out what they are eating as their primary forage. They will often eat other things but matching a fly and presentation to their primary forage will take you from catching a couple to catching a ton! If they are eating primarily algae (and they certainly could be) then match it and you should be good to go. If they are eating nymphs, same deal. Junk owing their primary forage is the key. Took me a while to figure out my carp were eating clams, but once I figured that out I started catching them regularly. Good luck man! They are fun fish.

tangotracer

Reaction score
I saw that video and I cried lol. He's catching those same exact carp on the same exact river almost... (Few miles away probably :p ). And I can't catch any!!

So... What do you suggest for an "algae fly"?

I have tying equipment in the states... But not the supplier or the time here in Korea

My scant free time is spent on the river I'm afraid ~

Thanks guys! Keep the intel coming ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pete a

Reaction score
I was casting fruitlessly to Grass Carp for months with all kinds of stuff right in front of them. During this same time I was getting decent response from Common Carp. But nary a sniff from the Grass Carp.

My son & I decided to watch them rather than casting. We saw a similar thing as you, they were sipping bits of grass and debris from the surface and just below. Thomas even had one nibble on his bright green fly line.

We switched to this color fly and we started getting hits. Not lots and but enough to get in the game. We're using 10" tippet on 9-10' leaders. Dead drift with no drag. We use 5-6wt tackle. They fight good but their runs are steady so IMHO just about any decent reel/rod can handle them. Heavier and a quiet presentation is harder.

The charturse Hopper has landed one and many hook ups. I caught another beauty on a darker green woolybugger drifted right next to his nose. These devils have a very very quick pick up/spit out sequence. So you got to get on 'em quick.

Good luck,

Pete

Grass carp on Orvis cheapie 6wt and GPX
Common Carp; TFO Signature cheapie 5wt and 6wt Bass Bug Taper

oz angler

Reaction score
Nice looking carp. I've yet to hook a carp on a fly but it's not from want of trying. Mention of carp taking grass or green algae has made me remember some luderick flies that I have that are tied to look like shiney aquatic sea weed. Will try them, along with everything else that looks like a chance, next time I target carp.
I've also watched that video about carp fly fishing in South Korea. It always makes me smile and it's wonderful to see someone getting such obvious joy from their fishing.The way it should be.
tangotracer--I wish you well and success in your quest.
Cheers,
Steve.

williamhj

Reaction score
I did a bit of searching and found grass carp flies so I gave them a try and came up with a few color combinations. If you want a dozen PM me your APO and I can mail them off to you (I'm assuming I can mail marabou).

oz angler

Reaction score
williamhj--Some of those green grass carp flies look very similar to the green weed luderick flies that I mentioned a post or so back. I didn't tie them but bought them from an OZ fly shop. I think they are made from something called Ice Dubbing.

Cheers,
Steve.

ditz

Reaction score
Suppose you could send us a close up pic of the stuff your carp are eating along with a size reference? If it is something I can duplicate or at least close I could also send you a few to see if they will work. :thumbsup:

tangotracer

Reaction score
That's a good excuse to break out the old DSLR camera! Oo... Perhaps even the underwater camera! I'll see what I can do if I get a chance to hit the river again this week

You guys are great! Thanks a ton!

williamhj

Reaction score
williamhj--Some of those green grass carp flies look very similar to the green weed luderick flies that I mentioned a post or so back. I didn't tie them but bought them from an OZ fly shop. I think they are made from something called Ice Dubbing.

Cheers,
Steve.
I'll have to try some ice dubbing. I just used chenille and marabou. Been thinking of some other materials to play around with. I look forward to hearing how they fish in Korea.

tangotracer

Reaction score
I had a go at those carp again tonight... Using bushy streamers to imitate a variety of things and even a pile of junk I suppose! Also tried some white/green/brown floating misc flies

Nothing! Possibly a couple missed bites, but more likely tapping bottom

First time using my crosswater 8# and I love it! Casting 60' with ease and even poor hauling technique lol

oz angler

Reaction score
Had another carp session today. Carp were feeding on the bottom as well as on the surface. I chucked a combination of booby flies, woolley buggers and weighted nymphs. They just laughed at me! Trout--easy! Well, not as hard. It's frustrating pitching flies in front of obviously feeding carp and having them totally ignore them. Maybe I need a vibrating fly in the muddy waters?
Cheers,
Steve.

tangotracer

Reaction score
Same thing here... Wish I could narrow it down to one thing preventing them from taking a fly! @,@

---------- Post added at 07:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 AM ----------

However!! Williamhj tied and sent me some custom flies recently.... And I actually got a take on one!

But... I was too revved up and snatched it right from it's mouth lol

Next time I'm hooking into a big one ;)

isaiah20

Reaction score
Watch them closely you need to see the strike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk