The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2014, 09:00 AM

tangotracer is on a distinguished road
Default Korean carp?

Hey all!-1st post on this forum!

I'm a soldier stationed in South Korea... And currently I've been hitting some carp rivers with my fly rod. However, I have had absolutely NO luck!

The carp completely ignore my fly and the only hope seems to be me casting the fly literally into their mouth - they act as if the fly nearly touching their face doesn't exist!

I've watched these carp.. And they rise readily and sip down the greenish algae substance released from a drain pipe into the river.. Is the trick just to use an "algae fly"?! Lol

Thanks for any advice!
Old 03-17-2014, 09:47 AM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice
Default Re: Korean carp?

I would sure give it a try. Match the hatch....What do I know? I have yet to catch my first carp
Old 03-17-2014, 10:01 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the Forum and thanks for your service to our country!

I know virtually nothing about Carp, I have only landed one and that was a Mirror Carp an incidental catch while I was fishing for trout, so I can't provide much help. There are a few members here that fish for Carp all the time, I would suggest sending a PM to Chased, John Montana and Joni. Also do a Google search for John's blog called "Carp on the Fly", he has a lot of information about fishing for Carp on that site.
Here is a post that John put up awhile back:
First carp of 2014 for me

Here is one of Joni's:
The Addiction Continues

Larry
fredaevans likes this.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:46 PM

Thanks guys! I might have found a guy to help me chase down these carp right here on the forum... We will test our luck and hopefully hook into some big ones!
Old 03-17-2014, 10:16 PM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

Rule #1, know your forage. Carp are masters of finding the most efficient way to get calories...so you need to figure out what they are eating as their primary forage. They will often eat other things but matching a fly and presentation to their primary forage will take you from catching a couple to catching a ton! If they are eating primarily algae (and they certainly could be) then match it and you should be good to go. If they are eating nymphs, same deal. Junk owing their primary forage is the key. Took me a while to figure out my carp were eating clams, but once I figured that out I started catching them regularly. Good luck man! They are fun fish.
tangotracer likes this.

Carp on the Fly
Old 03-17-2014, 11:39 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be interested to follow this post. Have never targeted carp with a fly rod, much less in Korea. If you haven't seen this video, it is well worth a watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnIvE8o24HM

Are you able to get flies / tying material in Korea?

Thanks for your service
tangotracer likes this.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:43 PM

I saw that video and I cried lol. He's catching those same exact carp on the same exact river almost... (Few miles away probably ). And I can't catch any!!

So... What do you suggest for an "algae fly"?

I have tying equipment in the states... But not the supplier or the time here in Korea

My scant free time is spent on the river I'm afraid ~

Thanks guys! Keep the intel coming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2014, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

glad you've already got some good infosGood luck....and don't forget to post a pic of your first carp.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:35 AM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

I was casting fruitlessly to Grass Carp for months with all kinds of stuff right in front of them. During this same time I was getting decent response from Common Carp. But nary a sniff from the Grass Carp.

My son & I decided to watch them rather than casting. We saw a similar thing as you, they were sipping bits of grass and debris from the surface and just below. Thomas even had one nibble on his bright green fly line.

We switched to this color fly and we started getting hits. Not lots and but enough to get in the game. We're using 10" tippet on 9-10' leaders. Dead drift with no drag. We use 5-6wt tackle. They fight good but their runs are steady so IMHO just about any decent reel/rod can handle them. Heavier and a quiet presentation is harder.

The charturse Hopper has landed one and many hook ups. I caught another beauty on a darker green woolybugger drifted right next to his nose. These devils have a very very quick pick up/spit out sequence. So you got to get on 'em quick.

Good luck,

Pete

Grass carp on Orvis cheapie 6wt and GPX
Common Carp; TFO Signature cheapie 5wt and 6wt Bass Bug Taper

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:17 PM

oz angler will become famous soon enoughoz angler will become famous soon enough

Nice looking carp. I've yet to hook a carp on a fly but it's not from want of trying. Mention of carp taking grass or green algae has made me remember some luderick flies that I have that are tied to look like shiney aquatic sea weed. Will try them, along with everything else that looks like a chance, next time I target carp.
I've also watched that video about carp fly fishing in South Korea. It always makes me smile and it's wonderful to see someone getting such obvious joy from their fishing.The way it should be.
tangotracer--I wish you well and success in your quest.
Cheers,
Steve.