The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2005, 10:52 PM

Tangle will become famous soon enoughTangle will become famous soon enough
Default After gills and crappie

Yesterday was an absolutely gorgeous day here in MI with temps in the mid 80's. Very different from the temps in the mid forties we had today!

Anyhow, yesterday evening we went out on our lake boat with the kids and our black lab in hopes of finding some panfish. With the warmer temps, the shallows were filled with gills and crappie. Getting them to bite was a little more difficult. However, we managed to catch a few on pheasant tails, prince nymphs, and a drowned elk hair caddis.

We been doing very well on a smaller lake that is much more shallow for the past two weeks. The lake we fished yesterday is much deeper and the fishing should really heat up in a week or so. As usual, it was impossible to keep the kids and the dog out of the water and they just had to do some wading.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:14 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis
Default Re: After gills and crappie

Good to hear someone is fishing. We are expecting a good weekend. I am hoping I can get a couple hours on some water then.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Sarah,
I would break in to recommending sunfish/crappie flies that would make catching more fish easier, but I know that what works where I live will not necessarily do the same where you are.

I actually got a massive part of my education in this sport from a current San Antonio,TX resident who used to live in Michigan and speaks of the Little Manistee as though it is Mecca. You might be proud to know that he is currently the fishing guru at the oldest fly shop in Texas, Tackle Box Outfitters.

I would rather embark on a more collaborative discussion on sunfish flies that would benefit both of us and broaden our horizons. Let me know if and how you would like to discuss this matter and help others realize just how fun panfishing with the long rod can be.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:27 AM

Tangle will become famous soon enoughTangle will become famous soon enough

Curtis, hope you can escape and enjoy some time on the water this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff
Sarah,
I would break in to recommending sunfish/crappie flies that would make catching more fish easier, but I know that what works where I live will not necessarily do the same where you are.
That's it exactly. The depth, temp, and bottom composition make this a challenge compared to all other "for sure" panfish lakes surrounding us. What works on most lakes, will not work on this one since it is such an environmental opposite to all others in our area. I think that is why it is so inviting, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff
I would rather embark on a more collaborative discussion on sunfish flies that would benefit both of us and broaden our horizons. Let me know if and how you would like to discuss this matter and help others realize just how fun panfishing with the long rod can be.
Cool. How about we just start listing the flies and go from there? Gotta love....

the rubber legged spider
any floating ant
cinnamon caddis
elk hair caddis
midges
sulphurs(really, the gills don't care!!!)

or......

bead head pheasant tails
prince nymphs
small buggers 10 and below
hares ears
chili peppers 12 or smaller

Those are some great flies around here.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I commonly fish..

smallish bead head wooly buggers
aggravator nymphs
small muddlers
soft hackles
foam beetles
and foam spiders.

I'll use dries made from natural materials sometimes, but I generally avoid them because of the fuss required to keep them floating.

My most effective sunfish fly the last time out was a soft hackle wet with an antron wing.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.