The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By rickf
  • 2 Post By turbineblade
  • 2 Post By bigjim5589
  • 2 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By buddhist_palm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2014, 12:13 AM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice
Default Bluegills on a Fly Rod

- fly rods are the best presentation

- funny about "spot burning" on the internet

- deep fry the fillets (I agree with that one, best tasting fish?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2GZntm2WB8
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:04 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Re: Bluegills on a Fly Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
- fly rods are the best presentation

- funny about "spot burning" on the internet

- deep fry the fillets (I agree with that one, best tasting fish?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2GZntm2WB8
I think the real, without-a-doubt one is:

- fly rods are the most fun
mcnerney and rickf like this.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:04 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Not always the best, but I can agree with the most fun when using fly rods for them. I like using ultra light spinning tackle too sometimes.

They call them "pan" fish for a reason! Certainly one of the best tasting!

"Spot burning" can be a real problem, particularly when small waters are concerned. Even on big water such as the Chesapeake Bay it can become a problem. On another site, one that is primarily bay fishing related, folks have said many times it's not a good idea to spot burn where fish are caught, or next trip there will be a hundred boats in that spot. Unfortunately too much truth to it.

Ard made a real good post about naming small creeks. I don't mind telling where I catch fish, but that information has to be passed along in a proper manner, in general terms. I know of some tiny streams that rarely get fished, but would never reveal them to anyone. There are plenty of places to fish & find good fishing for Bluegills if you put in your time & look for them. Fishing is like marriage or relationships, not a good idea to share every detail about any of them. Some things should be kept to yourself.
mcnerney and rickf like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 04-13-2014, 08:21 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
Ard made a real good post about naming small creeks. I don't mind telling where I catch fish, but that information has to be passed along in a proper manner, in general terms. I know of some tiny streams that rarely get fished, but would never reveal them to anyone. There are plenty of places to fish & find good fishing for Bluegills if you put in your time & look for them. Fishing is like marriage or relationships, not a good idea to share every detail about any of them. Some things should be kept to yourself.
How true! I don't mind saying where I fish when fishing big famous rivers, but it is a totally different thing when you are talking about small creeks that can't stand the pressure.

Larry
bigjim5589 and rickf like this.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:14 AM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

Funny little video

He mentions a giant Midwestern forum notorious for spot burning because 100 percent of the threads are location based named after the body of water

I love gills...

I think they certainly taste better then crappies. To me the meat is a bit more firm. I hate mushy fish!
rickf likes this.