The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2014, 08:39 AM

bdon7722 is on a distinguished road
Default New to fly fishing for bass

Hello I have fly fished for trout for about 2 years now and was looking into trying it for bass. I don't really know much about it for bass so was looking for some pointers and what I will need in my fly box for it. Any help is much appreciated.
thank you
Old 04-28-2014, 08:51 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Re: New to fly fishing for bass

Bass fly fishing is easy and fun.....they're not my primary target usually, but I do enjoy them.

I use a 9' 8-weight with just any, regular old WF 8-weight line. Nothing special.

The ones in my waters will hit just about anything -- I normally use small clouser minnow variations and small marabou minnows. More important that this, is to have minnows with different weights so you can fish different depths and adapt to the conditions.

I could use a 5-6 weight and do sometimes, but I nearly always wish I had my 8-weight when the wind picks up and when I want to throw something big and heavy out there.

The reel doesn't matter in the least -- they don't run.

Just take a small box of several minnows and some poppers and you're pretty much covered.
smilingduck and bdon7722 like this.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
Bass fly fishing is easy and fun.....they're not my primary target usually, but I do enjoy them.

I use a 9' 8-weight with just any, regular old WF 8-weight line. Nothing special.

The ones in my waters will hit just about anything -- I normally use small clouser minnow variations and small marabou minnows. More important that this, is to have minnows with different weights so you can fish different depths and adapt to the conditions.

I could use a 5-6 weight and do sometimes, but I nearly always wish I had my 8-weight when the wind picks up and when I want to throw something big and heavy out there.

The reel doesn't matter in the least -- they don't run.

Just take a small box of several minnows and some poppers and you're pretty much covered.
Thanks for the info. If you got a chance could you maybe post what types of minnows and poppers you use? Thank you
Old 04-28-2014, 09:18 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Turbineblades advice is perfect. If you're fishing small streams for bass, then they can be like fishing for trout, they'll hold in similar places & eat the same things that trout will eat. I generally like bigger size flies for bass however. For example if you're using size 12 nymphs for trout, you can go up to an 8 or 6 for bass, as they're not picky. I have a Stonefly nymph on my blog that bass love, as do trout in some places, and I generally now only tie it on a size 2 hook.

If you're fishing in stillwater or larger rivers, go bigger with the flies & heavier with the rod.

I like flies in the 3" to 5" range as a basic size for bass, but will go bigger or smaller depending on the waters being fishing.

I've made several posts with pictures of some of the flies I use for bass as have others. I won't re-post them here, so check out some of the past threads.

There are many, many good patterns that bass will eat, including many that are advertised as Trout, Steelhead, saltwater or Salmon flies. Pick a few that you like & that fit the places you'll be fishing & of course the rod weight you intend using & give them a try. Then you'll develop some confidence in those you have success with & find your own favorites!
bdon7722 likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 04-28-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
Turbineblades advice is perfect. If you're fishing small streams for bass, then they can be like fishing for trout, they'll hold in similar places & eat the same things that trout will eat. I generally like bigger size flies for bass however. For example if you're using size 12 nymphs for trout, you can go up to an 8 or 6 for bass, as they're not picky. I have a Stonefly nymph on my blog that bass love, as do trout in some places, and I generally now only tie it on a size 2 hook.

If you're fishing in stillwater or larger rivers, go bigger with the flies & heavier with the rod.

I like flies in the 3" to 5" range as a basic size for bass, but will go bigger or smaller depending on the waters being fishing.

I've made several posts with pictures of some of the flies I use for bass as have others. I won't re-post them here, so check out some of the past threads.

There are many, many good patterns that bass will eat, including many that are advertised as Trout, Steelhead, saltwater or Salmon flies. Pick a few that you like & that fit the places you'll be fishing & of course the rod weight you intend using & give them a try. Then you'll develop some confidence in those you have success with & find your own favorites!
Thank you for your post it helped a lot!!
Old 05-12-2014, 08:27 PM

half fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nice

Besides the poppers and minnow imitations, you might also want a few worm imitations. Something like this:

Senko worm imitation | FrankenFly

Fished slowly through the lily pads and weed beds, these things are deadly.

======================================
Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:57 PM
Business Member

Flygrain is a name known to allFlygrain is a name known to allFlygrain is a name known to allFlygrain is a name known to allFlygrain is a name known to allFlygrain is a name known to all

You didn't specify smallies or largemouth. There can be very different tactics for each species. I will talk a little bit about largemouth.

The #1 tip I can give you to really maximize your bass fishing experience is to use weedless flies. The deeper the cover you are confident in fishing, the more and bigger bass you will find. This holds true for surface and sub surface flies. I think bass fishing is one of the best ways to improve your casting skills as you are typically throwing large flies and you are target casting. I love fishing small lakes from a float tube or pontoon or pram. If you can get yourself deep into lilly or reed fields and target the little openings in the weeds, you can be surprised by some huge explosions! Theres just so much to hang up on in these areas, a weedless fly is paramount.
A big, front weighted black woolly bugger can be dynamite in these areas. Im talking like 4 - 5" long tied on a 2/0 hook.
One of my favorite types of fly fishing! I cant wait for the lakes to warm!
facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flygr...0954084?ref=hl
Old 05-12-2014, 08:58 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I'll add wooly buggers! Black is my go-to but green, brown, whatever can work. There's a great pattern called a tongue depressor that is killer for bass as well. If you tie it isn't too tough, otherwise get it from We Tie It fly shop in Boulder Junction, WI. I believe Bill is the inventor of the pattern. It's a great fly similar to a bugger but without the hackle and it has a GREAT profile that gives it action. Bass devour it. I can tie it myself but always buy some from him when I'm on vacation in Northern Wisconsin. I figure it is good to support creators of killer fly patterns.

As for poppers I wouldn't overthink it. Size and action probably matter more than color etc. I always bring a mix with me and see what the fish like.

What part of the country / world are you in? There might be some local knowledge on the forum that can help you out.
bigjim5589 likes this.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:15 PM

flybasser is on a distinguished road

way easy man,

Deer hair poppers
Clouser Minnows
Decievers
Wooly buggers
'sliders'
Dahlberg Divers
Articulated Leaches

those will catch alot of fish, just remember everything you make/acquire get varying colors and patterns/sizes.
bigjim5589 likes this.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:57 AM

flysmallie is on a distinguished road

I'm a bass fisherman that took up fly fishing to fish for bass in rivers. It is my favorite type of fishing above anything else. Trout is something I fish for when it's cold. They make do I guess.

Lot's of good info here. One thing about bass they will hit almost anything. The problem is finding out what that fly is and how they want it presented at any given time. I mostly fish big streamers or something on top. Things that are 4 to 6 to 8 inches.

Fishing on top is my favorite and it's what I do most of the time. Yes a wooly or clouser will catch you more fish but I would rather see that explosive strike more than anything.

The only fly that I haven't seen mentioned is a gurgler. You have to have an assortment of them. You can dead drift it and catch a lot of fish. Sometimes it just needs a little wiggle to create an explosion. And if you have never skated a gurgler across the current, well then you haven't lived.
bigjim5589, ted4887 and Flygrain like this.