The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree13Likes
  • 8 Post By rickf
  • 4 Post By rickf
  • 1 Post By rickf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 11:03 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice
Default "There be Lilly Pads"

I took my float tube to a shallow lake today, and what a blast I had! Air temp 65, light wind, and water temp was 59.

The Lilly Pads came back to life! Absolutely perfect for a fly rod. 2' to 3' deep, and fish packed under them. I made short casts to the open areas, and the fish would smack the fly with gusto!

I used my 3 wt again. Floating line with a 4X leader and some no weight nymphs, mini buggers, and realistic streamers (I can't tell you what they are or the entire fishing ego system might collapse).

I caught about 6 largemouth bass (biggest maybe 12"), 15 nice sized crappie, and about 50 bluegills.

Leaves on the trees, the grass is green now, and robins are chirping! Thank God, spring finally arrived!

Tight Lines,

Click the image to open in full size.

I finally put my oars back on my Scadden Outlaw Escape. I still use my flippers, but the oars move across the lake so much quicker. After seeing Mojo and Joni, I just had to put them back on my 'toon.

I still love this float tube. I've used it >100 times and the bladder-less pontoons don't leak at all! I sit in a comfy chair just above the water and have both hands free for my fly fishing. Thank You, Dave Scadden! The ultimate float tube IMHO.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:07 PM

zum will become famous soon enough
Default Re: "There be Lilly Pads"

Sounds like a great day.
Lily pads and a 3wt, haven't tried that...yet.
I think the toothy critters will change my mind though.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:10 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by zum View Post
I think the toothy critters will change my mind though.
zum,

Pickerel (a toothy critter) love the lilly pads maybe more than any other fish. I was in the same area today, and I caught a half dozen Chain Pickerel. From 8" to 15". Perfect for a 3 wt. Pickerel love a small unweighted streamer placed near a lilly pad.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:38 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

That certainly looks like a lot of fun, congrats!

Old 05-06-2014, 09:04 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Lucky!! No pads by me yet!
Old 05-06-2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
That certainly looks like a lot of fun, congrats!
Larry,

Yeah, it sure is a lot of fun! I purchased a float tube last year, and I sure did get my money's worth! I'm hitting all the public lakes in central PA.

I use a 3 wt mainly because I like all the action with the abundant small fish. I could use my 6wt or 8wt and maybe catch a bass or two (lots of casting with heavy tackle and heavy flies) but, for me that would not be as much fun.

We had a terrible, killer cold, winter and spring came a little late here in PA. Fishing is my passion, so I go out all the time.

A couple warm days, and everything is green again. The fish here in PA had a good spawn, so all my local spots have plenty of fish to keep me busy this year!

Life is Good!
shortyb likes this.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:52 PM

meadballs has a spectacular aura aboutmeadballs has a spectacular aura about

Just getting into fishing pads. was surprised to hook into pike
Old 05-12-2014, 05:10 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Sounds like a great day. I love small bass on a three or 4 wt. They jump and run more than the big ones. The trick is to use light tackle to let them show off. I think I'll hit a pond this morning!