The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2014, 07:10 PM

ejsell has a spectacular aura aboutejsell has a spectacular aura aboutejsell has a spectacular aura about
Default unexpected catch a first

Hit my local river for the first time this year today. Water is still a bit high and muddy with maybe 6-8 inches of visibility. Got off work a little early and headed out to my favorite spot with my 5wt. to try for some smallies. After about a half hour I was ready to call it quits because the sky was getting a little dark and I could hear some thunder. About half way back to my car I thought I saw some movement towards a log so I cast to it a couple of times and then got a huge hit. I was near a spot where I have caught fresh water drum in the past and thought for a second that's what I had hooked into but then it started taking out line and I had to put it on the reel. After the first run and busting my knuckles I tightened up my drag but he still had some runs in him. Nothing like hearing the zing of a reel caused by an angry fish. After a couple very long minutes and several runs I tired him out enough to get my net ready. That's when he surfaced and I realized I had hooked up with my first catfish on the fly. Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

After letting him go I hooked up and lost a second one when he came to the surface. A few minutes after that I caught a small rock bass and also a clam on the same fly.

Last edited by ejsell; 05-28-2014 at 07:46 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:14 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: unexpected catch a first

The clam is excellent!!
ejsell likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 05-28-2014, 07:21 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Way to go, that turned into being a pretty good outing, despite being slow at first, congrats!
ejsell likes this.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:26 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That's the way to beat the rains isn't it? I used to catch Channel Cats back in PA. fishing certain areas and they ran like a steelhead. I'd bookmark that spot and fish there often.

Ard
ejsell likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-29-2014, 01:05 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats....pity you didn't catch a frog this time
ejsell likes this.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:17 AM
Account on hold

guest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to behold

Nice catch! I caught some of those last summer. They can fight. Mine even jumped a couple times!

Not sure whether or not to congratulate you on the clam.
ejsell likes this.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:20 AM
mridenour

Congrats on the awesome mixed bag. I'll be targeting some channel cat next month. I gotta stock up for the July 4th fish fry!
ejsell likes this.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:07 AM

twfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the rough

That's pretty sweet... The clam is awesome... haven't landed one in a few years now, so well done, they're not the easiest things to catch As for the cat, so sweet! I have yet to catch one here, not many around, but would love to have a crack at it when I am in there neck of the woods... Used to catch barble (Orange River Catfish) back in South Africa on the fly and they are just beasts... They are big, strong and hungry... Go get some more of them!

Nick
ejsell likes this.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:47 AM

quijibo has a spectacular aura aboutquijibo has a spectacular aura aboutquijibo has a spectacular aura about

Awesome catches.

I'm going to be targeting Cats this year, hope to get into some big ones (I'll be geared up a bit heavier though with a 10 wt rod though.
ejsell likes this.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:08 PM

ejsell has a spectacular aura aboutejsell has a spectacular aura aboutejsell has a spectacular aura about

Caught my second cat a couple of weeks ago in the same river but miles from the first. I was actually on my cell phone when it hit. (I know, bad form to be on the phone while fishing but I couldn't ignore my mom, especially when she was watching my kids for me.)

mcnerney likes this.