The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2014, 09:56 PM

ponycarman has a spectacular aura aboutponycarman has a spectacular aura aboutponycarman has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: A Beginners Journal

Thanks for the good read! I am a beginner as well. Only been out a couple times. Still learning alot. Thanks again!
Mark
Old 07-25-2014, 01:28 PM

eightbites is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone for the kind words, sorry for my absence I've been busy with work, I usually work the evenings and the hardest part of early morning fishing... is waking up haha. But for once I won the tug of war with my brain and fishing became more desirable than an extra hour of sleep:

Click the image to open in full size.

6:00am right and early, I'll be honest most of my fishing is done in the evening... So the setting is unfamiliar and refreshing to me

I started off by tying on a size 10 white popper. A buddy of mine was really hyping this up, going on and on about how everything hits this, from small sunfish, big sunfish, and even bass! either he was lying, or has better luck than me. Because I used this fly for an hour on this spot and nothing. No strikes, Oh but left and right there was fishing rising, coming up aggressively and eating something. After an hour of frustration, I took a quick drive and tried a different pond.

It was around 7:00 and was beginning to get a little warmer, but It was't stopping the action I was seeing on the water. The fish were smacking the top of the water, not just ripples but splashes! Still believing in the all mighty ways of poppers, I made cast, after cast, after cast. Around the cover, parallel to the bank, perpendicular. Not once did something strike it. I would let it sit till the ripples went away, pop it irregularly, everything in the book. And then just to throw it in my face, as soon as I left an area, the fish would start rising and making splashes again. They were mocking me. Losing my patience I tied on a size 10 dragonfly nymph imitation. Trying to "match the hatch" I saw dragonfly's swarming in and around the lily pads, I figured the fish may be picky today but even then, after 30 minutes of no hits, I took a break, I stepped away from the water and just enjoyed the nature.

After the small meditation I clipped of the imitation and tied on the Ol' reliable gold bead headed copper john.

I went with my slow steady retrieve while occasionally jerking the rod tip. Casting around the cover, I made a cast in between two patches of lily pads, The nypmh settled, one slow strip, two jerky strip-

The fish was on!

I bluegill? Anything, I was desperate but the fight was unlike I've had in a long time. My rod bent more than I've seen before, if it was a bluegill it was a HOG. The fish dove from structure to structure, he was giving my 4wt some much needed exercise. I grab him out of the weeds only to reveal this beauty.

He probably wasn't over one pound, but he was my second bass on the fly. But size doesn't always mean everything right? He sure didn't let his size keep him from fighting hard.

The strike was so subtle at first I thought I thought it was a snag, but I was glad for that fish, after a few quick pictures he was released. Maybe someone will catch him again and he will two more pounds on him.

After my that catch with the copper john, I retraced my steps and hit all the areas I did previously with the popper with no luck. But hey, a one fish day is better than a no fish day.

Thanks for reading,

Luke
ponycarman likes this.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:56 PM

boyscout is on a distinguished road

Quote:
a one fish day is better than a no fish day
You got that right brother!

Keep at it and one day you will catch 15 and say it was slow. What is better is when you catch more and bigger than your spinning/bait casting buddies. It can happen.

BTW, lots of great posts here.
eightbites likes this.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:12 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

Missed this thread while I was out of town. My loss as it is excellent! Hope you keep sharing the PICs.
eightbites likes this.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:37 PM

Wow, I can't believe its been a month since my latest post. I start college tomorrow, and I am just waiting for the clock to tick. So time for a much needed update!

If you remember I shared my story about my personal best bream, well. I went back to that pond...

Here a man made waterfall empties into the smaller pond, and this is actually where I first got my line wet. I sent my popper right into the current created by the small waterfall, immediately I got hits. But either this fish were too small for my popper, or I haven't learned how to properly set the hook with topwater. But eventually I did catch my first fish for the day:
A small guy, but I'll take it. After this guy I stopped having luck with the popper. I skirted around the lily pads, praying for a nice big splash from a bass but I was left alone only with my thoughts to ponder what was going wrong. I decided to head to a different spot and a different fly.

I tied a beaded copper john and starting working the water. There was plenty of anglers out, but I was the only one using a fly rod ;p They would walk past me and always ask "Any luck?" I would reply "yep, been catching some nice bream" Many anglers would just give a small frown, always after something that gives a nice big tug. But with their baitcaster rigs I'm sure them setting the hook would cause even a 1lb gill out of the water and into the sky. Light rigs are the way to go c;

With foreign water, or really any water I find it best to search the entire water column. Letting the fly sink at different intervals, and after and I still haven't caught anything or had a hit I change the way I strip. And AFTER that, I will change where I am standing and bring the fly through the water at a different angle along with repeating the other techniques I said earlier. If I don't get any sign of hit or fish after that process, I either change my fly or move.

I don't remember every fight so here is the rest of the eye candy I have from the trip:

Thanks for looking!

-Luke
jpbfly, siege and ponycarman like this.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:35 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

Thanks for posting your journal, it's a very entertaining read.
Congrats on going to college. Stick with it. Where is the college ? Are there opportunities to fly fish ? Does the school have a fly fishing club ?
Keep us in the loop " young Luke " , and may the fishing force be with you
Old 08-27-2014, 07:55 AM

ponycarman has a spectacular aura aboutponycarman has a spectacular aura aboutponycarman has a spectacular aura about

Looks like you had a good time! Good luck with college! Like siege said, stick with it if you can. It will keep you sane haha. I know it does me
Old 08-27-2014, 11:47 AM

Thanks for all the kind words. Currently I'm attending blinn college in Brenham Texas, the plan is to transfer to a four year University after I get my basics out of the way. You know I'm not sure if it has a fly fishing school. I doubt it, but there may be a chance.

As far as opportunities to fish, I've got plenty, but instead of subdivision ponds I've got farm ponds, but now I am a 2 hour drive away from the Guadalupe and Austin, which I have a brother in law who fishes for huge carp in the bayous of Austin, so that's something I diffinitely have on the bucket list.

I currently live on my uncle and aunts Ranch/acreage. I live in a small house close to there's, but on their property my uncle built a nice 2 acre pond. He stocked it 2 or 3 years ago with bluegill crappie and largemouth bass. He actually has a small paddle boat that we taken out on the water, which I find is 100x better than fishing on the shore, haha!

I haven't taken my fly rod out on the pond yet, I've just used my conventional set up to try and learn the water. But maybe tonight if there isn't wind I will take out my fly setup.

-Luke
jeed and ponycarman like this.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

That IS a nice spot to fish LukeNice fish too...
eightbites likes this.