The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2014, 01:17 AM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 5 Weight Bass Flies?

As pretty much everyone else has said....5wt is not going to be ideal for targeting bass. When I started fly fishing a couple years ago, all I had was a 5wt, so I had to make due with what I had. Smaller flies are going to be your friend, as are shorter stouter leaders. Bead Chain Clousers, gurglers and smaller poppers are going to be your go to patterns.

Good luck! Let us know how you make out.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:04 PM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

You are not gonna be casting many 2/0 hair bugs but if you stick with some sizes that are compatable with your rod you will be able to catch bass. If you are in fairly open water you will be surprised at how heavy of a bass you can handle on a 5wt. Use short and heavy leaders and your options will widen considerably. The worst that can happen is you end up breaking off a huge bass. Use your 5wt and have a ball.

I was fishing Reelfoot lake many years ago and the fish tend to hang in the cypress tree roots. I saw a fella hook a nice bass and he just cranked it in skimming it across the surface and swung it in the boat. I may just be me but I did not see any fun in the method. Sorry, not my cup of tea.
nick k and ejsell like this.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:16 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

People seriously overestimate what is needed to cast flies. I primarily use a 2wt or a 4wt on bass around me. Today on my 4wt I was casting 4 inch long thick bodied craft fur streamers, as well as foam and rabbit fur mice. Was the presentation perfect, no. Do largemouth normally care much about casting presentation, no. Was I hitting 50 ft with my casts, yes. Even on my 2wt I cast up to size 2 tungsten head flies. A 2 lb largemouth is a hell of a lot of fun on a 2 and 4 wt.

I've always said that there's a difference between what people THINK they need in terms of distance and presentation, and what they actually DO need or can get away with.
ditz, ejsell and hookbender like this.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:19 PM

boyscout is on a distinguished road

I used a 5 wt overlined with a 6 wt line for years but like others have said, the 7wts and over can handle bigger flies and more situations (thick weeds, wind, etc) than a 5wt.

I liked Deceivers with my 5 wt because of the sleek wind cheating profile but can still have good length. For topwater I found large bullethead hoppers to be very 5 wt friendly.

I use an 8wt only now (unless it's redeye territory) because on an all day trip, I work less and let the rod/line weight do the heavy lifting. My wrist thanks me for it later.

All that being said, there is an army of folks like nick k out there who swear by lighter weights and they catch fish and enjoy it. Find what works for you and remember, it is FUN no matter what weight rod.

Luck to ya,

Derek

This is where the bigger weights shine. Lily pads where you are skipping the fly on and over and between and then BOOM! A LM takes it and buries in the vegies. I was using a 20lb tippet with my 8 wt and felt under gunned. Heck, the fish was only around 3 lbs but I had to winch it out of that mess. I've caught bigger but that was a real challenge.

Click the image to open in full size.
ejsell likes this.

Last edited by boyscout; 07-25-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:58 PM

STARMedic is on a distinguished road

I use a 5wt all the time to target bass, lol... I guess I never was good at following the rules...

Bruce
Old 07-28-2014, 12:36 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

I just built a 0wt yesterday for largemouth. It's still on the turner and should be fishable by tomorrow. They are gonna be a blast on this thing.
ditz likes this.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:05 PM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

Need more info Nick......blank? Length? .....man O man ....sounds like a winner. I don't build rods any more but I 'might' consider building a UL. I am just not willing to spend $600+ on a Sage
Old 07-29-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditz View Post
Need more info Nick......blank? Length? .....man O man ....sounds like a winner. I don't build rods any more but I 'might' consider building a UL. I am just not willing to spend $600+ on a Sage
Below are some pictures. I'm taking it out for its first spin today. Some specifics on it:

Blanks: RDP Fly Rods - 0wt 7'6'' 4pc ($60)
Real Seat: REC w/ Amboyna insert (~$50)
Grip: Cigar shape, high quality ($21)
Guides: Titan single foot guides with inserts (~$35)
Thread: Variegated brownish (~$3)
TOTAL = ~$179

Old 07-30-2014, 04:25 PM

That is a beauty!....Just one question...is there a reason that you did not use snake guides? Do you think that they would stiffen the action? I am an old fart and a traditionalist and like stainless snake guides. You did a fine job on the build and it is very tasteful. ....I can't wait for the report on your first outing.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:29 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditz View Post
Just one question...is there a reason that you did not use snake guides? Do you think that they would stiffen the action?

I was wondering the same thing. Good looking rod.