The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2014, 02:41 PM

panfishpredator is on a distinguished road
Default Help Please!

I have been casually fishing in a place that frequently holds carp. The problem hasn't been deceiving these fish, but landing them. I've hooked into these carp only twice, and both times I have been left enraged because either the hook became disgorged or the line snapped (and I check for Knicks in my leader). Am I just not fighting this fish well? Do I need a heavier rod? Or do I just have rotten luck?

Any help is appreciated. I, too, am addicted to these fish's fights and selective nature.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:20 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Help Please!

Is the line breaking at a knot or somewhere else?

You may just need bigger tippet.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:22 PM

dc410 will become famous soon enoughdc410 will become famous soon enough

What equipment are you using?
Old 08-08-2014, 03:47 PM

I'm using an Orvis Encounter outfit with a 9' 3x leader. I haven't had this outfit very long, so I don't have any tippet-leader knots yet, and I check for "wind knots" as well. So, no, no knots on my leader.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:08 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

3X leader is pretty strong.

Is it breaking right at the fly?

What knot did you use to tie the fly on?

Does your reel have a drag?
Old 08-08-2014, 04:27 PM

To be honest, I don't even know how close to the fly it keeps breaking. I just check the end of my tippet to see whether the line or knot failed, and it's just a clean cut on the line. Since this area has some kinda jagged rocks nearby, that could be what keeps cutting me off.

The reel has drag, and I often am set with line just shooting out of my reel when these monsters take off on me. I'm careful to not play the fish too long, as well as to not put too much pressure on the line. Should I just decrease the pressure on these fish?
Old 08-08-2014, 04:31 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

It may be just a matter of getting more experience fighting large fish

Solution ? Fish more often (time on the water)

(serious....not really trying to be funny)
cab likes this.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
It may be just a matter of getting more experience fighting large fish

Solution ? Fish more often (time on the water)

(serious....not really trying to be funny)
You're definitely correct. Most of my fish are not very big, so I definitely need more practice. Thanks for the advice! Hopefully once I get my act together fighting fish, I'll have more pics to contribute to this site.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:03 PM

dc410 will become famous soon enoughdc410 will become famous soon enough

Rip Tide is spot on. It is different fighting heavy fish. I use an 8 weight outfit to fish for carp which might be a bit overkill at times but it gives me a lot of confidence in being able to "horse" one with some serious side pressure when I need to keep them out of some debris.

I also tie my own leaders. 3' of 40 lb. brown Maxima Chameleon (this line stretches a bit which gives you the upper hand on bigger fish), 3' of 20 lb. flourocarbon, and 3' of tippet - I go no lighter than 2X (10 lb.) and usually fish 1X (13 lb.) for carp. Double surgeon knots between all sections. A standard clinch knot is usually sufficient for the knot on the fly although I have had knots at the fly fail on some really big fish. An improved clinch knot would probably have saved me the heart ache. Don't cut any corners on your knots - the devil is in the details. Don't be afraid to beef up on your tippet - they are generally not leader shy. I have had really good success in bringing some pretty big carp to hand with this set up over the past few seasons. Good luck, they are a real adrenaline rush on the fly rod.
fq13 likes this.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:48 PM

Thank you all for your advice!