The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2014, 12:06 AM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice
Default God bless the Bluegill!

I'm back on the "wagon" again!

Every day in a different beautiful PA lake, with my 3 wt. Too many fish pix to post!

In this video: "A Fly fisherman will "out produce" a bait fisherman 10 to 1"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2GZntm2WB8
Old 08-10-2014, 04:20 AM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: God bless the Bluegill!

Bluegill on a fly rod are gobs of fun. However...I am completely confused by that video. I'm not sure if you shot it...or if its just a random 8 min video about bluegill from youtube.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:48 AM
Account on hold

guest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthrnk03 View Post
Bluegill on a fly rod are gobs of fun. However...I am completely confused by that video. I'm not sure if you shot it...or if its just a random 8 min video about bluegill from youtube.
I didn't watch it. But judging by the number of views on it, I vote for option "B"
Old 08-10-2014, 01:53 PM

fox is on a distinguished road

In my opinion* for bluegill live bait is the best. You might go through periods where on a fly you catch them feeding good, but live bait you can catch them 100% of the time. I've never went fishing and have not been able to catch bluegill on live bait.

I'm sure stripping a big bluegill in on a fly rod is more fun, but strictly for catching live bait>Artificial.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by fox; 08-10-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:10 PM

ponycarman has a spectacular aura aboutponycarman has a spectacular aura aboutponycarman has a spectacular aura about

Bluegill is pretty much all I have caught on a fly so far. They are super fun to catch. Im my area I have more successful with flys than with live bait. I guess the fish around here are a bit more skiddish or picky.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:30 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Aside from the fact that this is a fly fishing forum and not a bait forum, I disagree with the idea that bait will always out-fish flies. I've done a lot of bluegill fishing with wax worms and crickets and also more recently with fly tackle (which is all I use anymore), and you can kill 'em with flies on certain days when people fishing around you with bait won't catch as many....and vice versa, of course.

Of all fish species you can target with fly tackle, bluegill are probably one of the more "ideal" in the sense that they eat a lot of insects that are easy to match and present on the fly.
mcnerney, rickf, lthrnk03 and 1 others like this.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:17 PM

In my opinion* I'd say people around you not catching panfish with live bait have:

1) a bait quality issue

2) a line visibility issue

3) a hook size or presentation issue

4) a depth issue

5) oversized bobber

Or

6) all of the above and no idea about what they are doing

Not saying flies are not excellent in certain cases, but quality live bait is impossible to beat. IMHO

Fishing correctly with live bait is more than just shoving the hook through and sometimes even that proves too much to handle for some people.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:45 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Yeah, ive out fished bait chuckers 10 to 1 multiple times.
In my opinion, the ability to switch patterns quickly and
get on the bite out weighs the bait guys every time.
theboz likes this.

ARFE
Old 08-10-2014, 08:51 PM

I can see where a pack of flies would be a lot easier than carrying worms, crickets, minnows, and hellgrammites all at once.

:.p
Old 08-10-2014, 09:18 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light

I hit a nice school of blue gills/sunny's the other week. First few on a woolly bugger but then switched to an Adams after realizing how hungry they were... casting in the same exact spot everytime will get them skimming across the top a few feet to chomp the fly. That's the best part
Click the image to open in full size.
rickf, ponycarman and fox like this.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...