The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By ponycarman
  • 1 Post By lthrnk03

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 08:24 AM

ponycarman has a spectacular aura aboutponycarman has a spectacular aura aboutponycarman has a spectacular aura about
Default Interesting experience scouting new fishing spot

My dad took me by a new fishing spot yesterday. It was just a public access to a local river. Looks like it might be some good fishing. We are going to giving it a shot in the coming weeks. Now for the interesting thing haha. We have had a good bit of rain and flooding the past week so the river is up and moving quick. Very muddy water.

While we were walking the riverbank I spotted a long piece of bamboo. We are guessing that it was washed down stream with all the flooding. I picked it up and joked on using it as a fishing rod (not bashing cane poles at all). When I picked it up we noticed some line tied on it. Hmmm someone already used it as a fishing pole. As I continued to pull I met some resistance. I figured it was snagged up. Well I was wrong haha. I kept tension and noticed I felt movement. Turns out there was a sizable catfish on the other end lol. Before I figured that out I pulled too much and straightened the hook enough for him to slip off and flap his tail at me when he swam off.

Oh well haha. Who knows how long that puppy has been hooked.

I snapped a couple pics of the muddy river.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
rickf, siege and ejsell like this.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:50 AM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Interesting experience scouting new fishing spot

That would definitely make for an interesting outing. I live in NC....we have gotten hammered with rain this summer. Creeks, ponds and lakes are all muddy as can be. Its seriously put a wrench in my carp fishing. I am over the rain already.
ponycarman likes this.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:43 AM

ponycarman has a spectacular aura aboutponycarman has a spectacular aura aboutponycarman has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Interesting experience scouting new fishing spot

Same here. The rain has ruined many a weekend the last summer or two. I'm sure this river might clear up a little bit once the waters are back to normal. It will be interesting. I haven't fished a river yet. The current isn't horrible but there is one. Been considering investing in a canoe or kayak sometime. It would open new fishing possibilities.