The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2014, 01:45 PM

tedwin183 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Set-Up For Bluegills

I'd say a 7' 3wt St. Croix Imperial with an Orvis Battenkill I and some 3 wt SA Aircel would be a great, inexpensive little setup for bluegill and even some small trout. Get a sink tip for it and you have a good fall crappie rig too.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:55 AM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

Nothing heavier than a 6 to 7' 3wt and I would prefer lighter on graphite. My current graphite is a 6' 2wt. I am looking at a 6 1/2' glass 3wt. Glass is Class
Old 08-16-2014, 07:02 PM

fr8dog is on a distinguished road

A good bluegill rod (and a good anything stick) for a decent price is a Cabela's Three Forks. I got a 3 and liked it enough to pick up a 5. Nice rods and easy on the wallet.
Joey Bagels likes this.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:12 PM

flybasser is on a distinguished road

4wt 8'6" St. Croix Imperial wiath Ross Fly rise 4wt reel
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:24 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I've caught a lot of different panfish, some bass & even some Stripers on my 6 wt. It's an 8' IM6 Cabelas rod I bought in 1989. Not sure the model, I would have to go look. Probably not made now anyway. Caught the biggest Bluegills I've ever seen with it in FL one time. I have it paired with a Lamson LP 2 reel. Again, not still made!

However, like others when targeting Bluegills & the other panfishes I like a 3 or 4 wt rod better than the 6 wt. I've got one of each that were custom made & recently bought a TFO finesse. (Actually bought 2 a 3 & a 4 wt, gave one to my oldest son) Can't remember which I kept.

Have not used the TFO as yet, but expect it will be a dandy rod for Bluegills, Crappies or Perch (or any of the other members of the Sunfish family we have here in MD.) I pair them with Okuma Sierra or Cortland Rimfly reels.

I've also got 2 inexpensive fiberglass rods I like to sometimes use for panfishes. Ones a Berkley Buccaneer, the others a Diawa. I pair them with the same reels & doesn't really seem to matter what line I use. They handle a range of line weights & are fun to fish with.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 08-17-2014, 10:08 PM

dc410 will become famous soon enoughdc410 will become famous soon enough

A 3 or 4 weight is probably the outfit of choice for bluegills. I don't think it really matters as far as the reel goes. I would go with a relatively lower price point reel. However, if you target some waters that hold some good bluegills they can be a lot of fun on almost any WW outfit. Here is one that I caught last weekend on a #2 popper while targeting Largemouth Bass (sorry about the grainy photo, it was the only one that I took). I really wasn't sure whether I had a decent bass or a really good 'gill until I got it to the surface. Lots of fun!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:16 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

I use my 0wt right now for bluegill and small bass. Before that I used my 2wt. You can go as low as you want. If you really are just targeting bluegill with it, I wouldn't go over 3wt.
ditz and james w 3 3 like this.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:27 PM

james w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the rough

I normally use a sweet 2wt outfit, what a blast!
But now I'm thinking of using my Tenkara rod, could it be even MORE fun?
I'm smiling just thinking about it!
Old 08-19-2014, 01:01 PM

harry2110 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedwin183 View Post
I'd say a 7' 3wt St. Croix Imperial with an Orvis Battenkill I and some 3 wt SA Aircel would be a great, inexpensive little setup for bluegill and even some small trout. Get a sink tip for it and you have a good fall crappie rig too.
Actually it is a AWESOME little inexpensive bluegill rig as it is what I use with SA sharkwave gpx instead of aircell as it floats longer. This honestly is a nice combo and has my 5wt imperial sitting as backup most of the time unless I need to cast longer than 60-70ft. The thing can even handle some brutes as I have landed 11-14in gills on it and some smaller bass and will be using it as my go to rod for all species this fall. Now it does have me looking at 1wt or less as the thing throws some much more like a 5wt but is still a true 3wt in flex.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:08 PM

tex will become famous soon enough

My 'gill set up is the same as my high mountain Sierras set up. Custom 7'6" 1wt full flex rod with Orvis Battenkill BBS reel with the RIO Trout LT DT line.

Bluegills have small mouths and respond killer to small unweighted nymphs as well as small dries. Plus, a full flex 1wt puts a smile on your face when a 3" 'gill puts a significant bend in the rod!