The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2014, 07:42 PM

tylersc is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Set-Up For Bluegills

I have been using some of the poppers from breambugs.com, they're working great! My lightest rod so far is a 6wt but it's still a lot of fun with a bream on there!
ponycarman likes this.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:10 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i like 4-5 wt glass rods.
my current fav is a cabelas cgr 7' 4 wt with an old medalist
1492 spooled with wf4-f line.
works great for crappie as well

casey

ARFE
Old 08-20-2014, 08:25 PM

ponycarman has a spectacular aura aboutponycarman has a spectacular aura aboutponycarman has a spectacular aura about

I handled a couple glass rods the other day. The echo glass in 2wt and the redington butter stick in 3 and 4wt. I must say I really want to try a glass rod. They look fun and felt great. Especially the lighter stuff.
caseywise likes this.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:21 PM

dayhut is on a distinguished road
Default Set-Up For Bluegills

I use a Crystal River 5/6 wt., a top pick under 50$.
I like it because its fast profile suits my style.
I pair it with a 6WF-F line and stepped leaders which I tie myself. The final link is a 4# tippet attached with a tippet ring.
Total leader/tippet length is 12ft.
My reel is usually a Shakespeare 1094, because I have about six of them. Best $5 reel you'll find.

NOTE: I'm no tackle snob. This stuff works and leaves me cash for tying materials, gas, burgers, mortgage payments,... Well, you get the point.

The trend today is to go micro light. 1 wts, 2 wts, even 0 wts seem to have become sexy overnight.
But while I specialize on bluegill, bass and other large critters seem not to have heard I'm not after them. They will take anything I cast for bluegill. I've grown to dislike tussling with bass and the occasional catfish on little fly swatter rods.

To paraphrase King Lear, "That's what I do."

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk
fq13 likes this.

-- David
Old 10-29-2014, 11:41 AM

muppetmullet81 is on a distinguished road

the 7ft Eagle Claw Feather Lite glass rod on amazon for $20. Simply the best bluegill rod I have ever owned.
itchmesir likes this.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:03 PM

The first fly rod I ever used was a Wright-McGill Eagle Claw, 2 PC., 7' Spin-Fly.
It has now become my bluegill spinning rod of choice.

Great minds think alike.

-- David
Old 10-29-2014, 02:22 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

I fish for sunfish often (only second to brook trout) and have caught them on virtually every combination of rod length and line.

If I put aside my "ideas" about what the ideal rod is for bluegill and just think about which rod I truly enjoy using the most, I'd have to go with a 8'6" 5-weight.

I'm not a short rod guy, so anythig 8'-9' and in the 4-6 weight range is my favorite for bluegill and just my favorite rod, period.

Regardless, since there's rarely a need to use light tippet, just make sure you use whatever you like best . Bluegill are a real gem -- worthy as a target and not just an alternative when bass aren't biting.
ponycarman likes this.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
I fish for sunfish often (only second to brook trout) and have caught them on virtually every combination of rod length and line.

If I put aside my "ideas" about what the ideal rod is for bluegill and just think about which rod I truly enjoy using the most, I'd have to go with a 8'6" 5-weight.

I'm not a short rod guy, so anythig 8'-9' and in the 4-6 weight range is my favorite for bluegill and just my favorite rod, period.

Regardless, since there's rarely a need to use light tippet, just make sure you use whatever you like best . Bluegill are a real gem -- worthy as a target and not just an alternative when bass aren't biting.
Sums up my feelings on fly rods.
I use a 4# tippet of mono or fluoro, depending on whether I'm fishing a surface ( mono floats) or subsurface fly (fluoro sinks). Ive tried lighter lines, down to 1#. But I can't see them well enough to tie! 4# is my best compromise.
I'm also huge fan of tippet rings. If you're still tying tippet-leader connections, give em a try. I get em on eBay at Hal the cost. I've also tried glass seed beads, which work, too.
(At around ten pounds they break, though. There good in a pinch, and I've never had one break in use. I have a bit more faith in the t-rings).
The only fish I specifically target with fly rod is bluegill. I catch bass often enough, so that adds to the fun.

-- David
Old 10-29-2014, 06:04 PM

dhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nice

Not to gainsay any of the good advice here, but.......

Catching bluegills on a Tenkara rod is a heck of a lot of fun!!!!!
Old 10-29-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaynes View Post
Not to gainsay any of the good advice here, but.......

Catching bluegills on a Tenkara rod is a heck of a lot of fun!!!!!
Agreed!
In its place, it is fun.
At other times, I wanna reach out and touch the fish from a distance.

-- David