The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2014, 11:28 PM

rawtrout is on a distinguished road
Default Set-Up For Bluegills

My local lake has an amazing population of bluegills. I find myself regularly catching them on all manner of lures, meant for the much harder to entice bass I normally target. Any recommendations for a nice all around bluegill set up (what size/weight rod etc).
Lake is a typical mountain lake (in NY) no weird structure, cast to dock/bank, reel, catch bluegill, repeat.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:53 AM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Set-Up For Bluegills

Just about any 4 or 5 weight will work fine for BG, depending on you preferences and budget. Cabelas did have or does have the Reddington CT rods for sale at $99 which would be a good one, this rod goes on sale on a regular basis, and some members put 'em for sale at times at well. Cabelas prestige reels would make a good match for the rod as well.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:54 AM

ponycarman will become famous soon enoughponycarman will become famous soon enough

I started out with a 5wt. And while I like it and am having a blast with it I have only caught bluegill. I'm currently saving to build a lighter setup to bring out a little more fight in the smaller fish. Gonna get a 3wt classic trout. There are so many good choices just depends on what you want.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:49 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Although I don't often get to, I have a 7ft 3wt loaded with a WF4F on it specifically for bluegill. It's a hoot. Unless you're someplace where you might get into something significantly bigger, it's all you need.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:42 AM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

I have a 5wt Orvis Clearwater set up. It's a great little rig, perfect for bluegill, bass and trout. I'd love to have a little 3wt to go after them, but honestly there's no real need. 5wt.... Jack of all trades, master of none.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:46 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

I use a Reddington CT 3wt. Its fun for gills and small bass and salt water catfish. I use one ofCabelas wind river reels on it. It was like $19 on sale. Go cheap on the reel, its just a line holder for panfish. Though will say thaT I do get the cats on the reel and that little thing has a decent drag.
ponycarman likes this.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:50 AM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice

i use a variety of 4wt glass rods! the 4wt can throw hopper/droppers but being fiberglass, bends into the handle with fiesty panfish lots of fun and what i end up fishing for to relax and have non stop action!
Old 08-15-2014, 12:01 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

I've been using a 3wt 8'4" and having so much fun with the 'gills.

A couple years ago, I had a 1wt Superfine, and it was a "thrill" to catch a 6" bluegill with that rod. I sold it, and I'm so sorry I did! I'm looking for a good deal on a Sage 000.

My advise: "Go light, young man, go lite"
shortyb and ponycarman like this.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:17 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I literally have a garbage can full of vintage rods all waiting their turn to come out to play
Most of those rods are used primarily for bluegill and most of those are 6wts
Light enough for bluegill, heavy enough for bass.
bigjim5589, rusty 54 and bocast like this.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:17 PM

clay tonian is on a distinguished road

8 ft 5wt orvis silver label or clearwater with battenkill barstock and wf f line...bluegill catching machine