The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tangotracer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 07:59 PM

tangotracer is on a distinguished road
Default Schooling on Hooked Fish

I hooked into my first carp the other day... And shortly into the long fight about 5-6 BIG carp schooled with the one I hooked as I was fighting it!!

I've never seen other fish do this... Are they just trying to pick up scraps of whatever they presume the carp is ripping apart?

I've heard that carp release chemicals/pheromones into the water that alert other carp of danger, so does it have to so with this?

Anyone who has experienced this or knowledgeable on the subject please let me know^^ Click the image to open in full size.
ejsell likes this.
Old Yesterday, 08:07 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Schooling on Hooked Fish

Have not seen it with carp, but have with other fish. Bass, SM, LM & Striped bass will do it. I don't believe it's a schooling reaction, it's more predatory IMO.
I've occasionally hooked more than one of these species on the same lure (those with multiple treble hooks) after the first fish was hooked. I think the second & additional fish are trying to get in on the action. Perhaps even take the "food" away from the first fish hooked. Don't know if that would be the case with carp. I've hooked carp, but can't say I've witnessed others following a hooked one.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM

ejsell has a spectacular aura aboutejsell has a spectacular aura about

My carp knowledge is pretty limited but I've had other species swarm a hooked fish. I always assumed they were attracted to the fighting fish thinking they were going to get in on a meal.
Old Yesterday, 08:10 PM

Oh ok!! Good to know

It is probably worth mentioning that they also pretty much disregarded their survival.... Or were unaware of me

I actually had to push one out of the way with my bet while I was trying to bet the hooked one!!! I easily could've netted it instead... And sadly it was bigger than the one I hooked haha
Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM

mirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nice

I see bass doing this as "barf buddies," gobbling up what the fighting bass is regurging as it struggles. Don't know about carp, though.
Old Today, 12:03 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi TT,

I've been seeing many species of fish do what you saw for many years. I've always thought they act very much like chickens, when one hen finds a nice big bug or other morsel the other chickens always chase after her looking to snatch the goodies from her. When I was a boy I saw brook trout grabbing at the worm which dangled from the mouth of the sorry hooked fish.

Just last July I caught a nice rainbow trout at a deep cut bank complete with logjam. As I reeled the trout in a rather huge fish made its appearance racing along beside the Sculpin caught fish. I netted the hooked trout which was quite nice but dwarfed by the big boy........ After a time sitting and resting the spot I cast again and the behemoth came fast and hard. It was way more than I had planned on with a 1968 six foot six inch Orvis Full Flex glass rod and a clicker reel. Things ended badly with the fish wrapped around a log in 6 feet of water and it eventually snapped the 10 pound leader that had it bound to the log. I do plan to return to that spot and I will use 15 pound test and a heavier rod & reel............ maybe. Or I might just take the old Orvis set and try to win the rematch, at least I know what may happen there.

So yeah, it's common to see other fish following one you've hooked up.

Another welcome to the forum and please post with us often,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old Today, 01:26 AM

Default Schooling on Hooked Fish

First carp! This one is a baby compared to the one I couldn't land yesterday.... And at 26"! There's plenty of big carp in this river I just need figure out how to catch them lol

I snuck up on a school of these guys and cast from behind some bushes maybe 15 times before the smallest one (pictured) took a grab at itClick the image to open in full size.